Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee pops and feels tight  (Read 4470 times)

Offline easy mac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee pops and feels tight
« on: February 24, 2005, 06:27:29 PM »
A week ago I was walking down some stairs, and I felt a sharp, quck pain near the top of my knee cap.  The next day my girlfriend (a first year PT student) took a look at it and said she felt some swelling.  After a couple of days, the swelling was gone and my knee only felt a little tight, but it wasn't any problem to walk on.  However, over the past few days, it has started to swell some and it feels very tight, kind of pressurized.  It also has started to pop a lot, or crack like knuckles do.  Unfortunately, my girlfriend has not gotten to the knee, so she can't really say what's wrong.  I don't have insurance right now due to a paperwork snafu, so I can't get it checked out by a doctor (can't afford to).  Anyone have any help?  I really hope I didn't tear anything, because I'm pretty much screwed without insurance.  I can walk pretty well, but the knee and everything around it feels extra tight.  All I've done is ice it.

edit to say:  I'm 22, never had knee problems before, 5'10, 175 lbs.  I will say, that if I sit anywhere cramped for a long time (like a movie theater or work) then my knee has always popped.  It also pops when I kneel for church.  Could it be Patello-Femoral Syndrome?  I wouldn't think it would manifest itself so violently, however
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 06:50:53 PM by easy mac »

Offline spartanpele

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Knee pops and feels tight
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 06:56:51 PM »
I sounds as though you might have simply twisted/sprained your knee.

Start out with the basics for now:  RICE  (rest, ice, compression, elevation).  The rest part means take it easy for a few days to let your knee calm down.  Ice the knee area for 20 minutes, every hour if possible, throughout the day as needed.  Use a compression bandage around your knee to keep the swelling down.  Elevate your knee above your heart to also help with swelling.  Do that for a few days and see if the swelling goes down.  You can also take ibuprofen for pain, 600mg, 3x a day for the inflamation. 

Once the knee starts to feel better, no pain or swelling, start to regain your range of motion, strength and balance.  Start with straight leg exercises, face up, side, face down, side (affected), 3x10, 12, 15, etc.  You can also start doing some light flexion pumps to help push out some of the dead blood inside the knee area. 

You should try to walk with no pain, then eventually progress to jog with no pain, then sprint no pain, skips, hops, till eventually cutting and pivoting exercises.

If your pain and swelling continues, or your knee starts to give out on you...you're going to have to see the doctor.  The longer you have a serious knee injury (such as one that gives out, or has constant pain), the greater the chance for arthritis or other knee injuries down the road.

Feel free to check out the different websites as well to determine your exact knee injury based on your symptoms.

Best of luck...

Offline easy mac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee pops and feels tight
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 07:03:08 PM »
Thank you for the advice.  i really prefer your thoughts as opposed to mine (since mine are always worst case scenario).  I guess going shopping the day after it happened probably wasn't the best idea ;D.  I just hate feeling lazy and I really hate having pain, I always just try to work my way through it instead of resting, but I guess it beats the alternatives.  Time to see if work minds me resting my feet on my desk.