Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Old knee injury coming back to haunt me  (Read 768 times)

Offline maximus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Old knee injury coming back to haunt me
« on: February 23, 2005, 06:01:35 PM »
I had a knee injury about 4 years ago. I used to work in a distribution center and it almost got crushed by a forklift. My knee was in between the forklift and a metal line with rollers that we used roll boxes out. I had to go to the ER and get Xrays done but I lucked out nothing was broken, so they released me. I was on crutches for 10 days and a stiff knee brace so I couldn't bend it. I went back to work after my ten days were up but wore a knee brace with side support springs that you can get for about$15. I left the job within a few months and now just work on computers. I have had a bit of pain here and there and within the last year to year and a half and at times can be unbearable. It hurts walking up stairs and down. I noticed when I went to give my son a bath the other day I slightly bent it and had a real hot sensation between the patella and tibia. It kinda freaked me because I never felt that. When the pain has been real unbearable I rub it down with Flexal and take Tylenol arthritis and that seems to help. I had an orthopaedic check it out about a week ago and he believes it inside the knee. He thinks it is a meniscus tear. Could my meniscus got tore 4 years ago and never healed or does this sound like something else. Thanks.

Offline GeekGal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • Geek Habitat
Re: Old knee injury coming back to haunt me
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 06:08:17 PM »
It definitely sounds like you may have a meniscus tear. The cartilage (meniscus) in the knee doesn't heal well, if at all. That's why surgery generally removes a portion or all of the torn meniscus (depending on its condition and other factors).

Has your OS scheduled you for an MRI or diagnostic arthroscopy to actually look inside that knee?
- Shannon

** My Knee Journal: ** http://geekhabitat.com/topics/wellness/knee-health/

Hamstring autograft ACL reconstruction
Tears of Medial (40% removed) & Lateral (Repaired w/Bioscrew) Meniscus
Surgery: February 4, 2005