Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL  (Read 995 times)

Offline SCOT423

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL
« on: February 23, 2005, 03:08:04 AM »
I hurt my knee three weeks ago and the Doc thinks my ACL is torn about 35%.  I am really into playing backetball, but the Doc doesn't think I need surgery at this time.  He is putting me in a brace and tells me I can play again in about two-three months.  Has anyone tore their ACL and gone back to playing sports without surgery?  I am not sure what I should do.....Please help..

Offline libertynm

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: ACL
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 03:45:16 AM »
Going back to basketball without a fully functional acl is risky.  You may complete the tear and damage additional structures as well (other ligaments, cartilage, etc).  If you don't have a reconstruction, you probably ought to think about lifestyle modifications to protect that knee (ie no twisting, cutting motions etc).  Even then, you would need to do your best to strengthen the muscles around the knee (formal PT would be a good idea).

Also, did your doctor do an arthroscopy before giving you the  35% tear  diagnosis?  I would be skeptical about the number if it is from an MRI.  You douldn't see my tear on my MRI, but my ligament was completely shot. . .

If I were you, I would get a second opinion and take it easy on your knee while you digest your options. . .I'm not saying that you should get surgery, but if playing basketball is very important to you, it's something that you should seriously consider.

ACL allograft - 12/07/04

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 04:14:10 AM »
There is truly no such thing as a partial ACL tear.  Once it's torn at all the ACL is no longer functional.  Think of a rope, when it is partially cut, it begins to unwind and looses all strength.  Second of all, there is no way with looking arthroscopically to determine that your ACL is torn 35%.  Get a second opinon, then get surgery if there is a tear if you want to continue to play basketball.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline fourscrews

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 07:24:40 PM »
I had surgery three years ago on my knee from a basketball injury.  It was the same as you, the ACL, however mine was completely torn.  From what I have heard, it would be hard for you with a partially torn ACL to come back to playing basketball competitively at the same level.  Also, you will probably have to wear one of those big braces.

After my surgery, I got back to playing very competitive basketball six months later and was back to the same player I was one year later.

It is a question of wheter or not you want to have to wear a big brace or if you want to get back to 100% and not have to worry about it.

Good luck!
I am one of the lucky one's with bad knee genetics!!!!
7 knee surgeries between my Dad, sister, brother, and myself.
Insurance has got to love us..........

Offline c_soccer16

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 07:44:56 PM »
Do what you're ready for. Weigh all the benefits and costs and make the decision that best suits you.

I definitely don't regret having the surgery. My friend partially tore her acl, rehabed and used a brace...sure enough she ended up twisting it again completely tearing the ligament. Of course this happened at a very bad time for her. Had she fixed it immediately she would have been back for ski season, but waiting and then completely tearing it meant she missed her whole ski season.

Good luck in whatever you decide! it's not an easy decision!
2003 - L ACL reconstruction (Patella tendon)
2003 - L meniscus repair (2 darts and stitches)

support