Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthroscopic Surgruy..some questions!  (Read 1352 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Arthroscopic Surgruy..some questions!
« on: February 22, 2005, 10:24:50 PM »
If infact I do need the scope, I had a few questions for everyone. My OS isn't the best at explaning things to kids because he doesnt deal with them regulary, so when I ask he speaks with all these huge words that I dont understand :P I know most of the following questions depend on how much is done in the knee, but just assume is is very minimal for now.
1.How long can I expect to take off school after this?
2. How long will I stay in the hospital after this?
3. How long on crutches?

If anyone has ever had this and any advice...it oulwd be appriciated!Thx so much ;)
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: Arthroscopic Surgruy..some questions!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 01:30:36 AM »
Hi Krista,

The exact answers to your questions will depend on what is found during your scope.  But, if they don't do anything other than look...

You generally don't stay overnight in the hospital for a knee scope.  You'll go home the same day.

Unless your doctor needs you on crutches because of something they fix at the time of surgery, you'll be "weight-bearing as tolerated".  That means that you only use crutches as you need to and can get rid of them once it doesn't hurt to walk.  For me, that meant not using them at all to needing them for a week or so (even though I had the same procedure done) so it varies.

Off school?  At least a couple days.  Until the pain is OK without strong pain medications.  You may need the crutches for a few day longer if you go back to school sooner.

Hope that helped.
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 01:42:27 AM »
It would be good if you could schedule the scope before or during your spring break.  Or on the Friday of a long weekend or lastly the Friday of any weekend.  If you have it on a Monday, chances are you will miss most if not the whole week. 

However, if they do scope and find torn ACL and choose to reconstruct you are looking at 10 days to 2 weeks out of school. So schedule on a friday or Thursday if you can.

1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 02:43:17 AM »
Yeah it does definately matter what they do /find when they are in there, but if they just take a look around and do some cleaning up at the very least... you shouldn't be in the hospital more than a few hours after surgery, and may not need crutches. when I had a scope and debridement (cleaning up) done when I was 17 I walked out of the hospital and  it was on  a Tuesday and I went back to school on Thursday.

Goodluck

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline fuffy

• Forum Faithful
  • To ride or not to ride - What a stupid question!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 06:03:11 PM »
 :D
Hi there -
I walked out of my arthroscopy one hour after I woke up. All they did was have a little look around. Didn't feel great for the first few days but could have gone back to school about 4 days after.
I was bored with daytime telly by then anyway!
Good luck :D
Fuffy
Arthroscopy in January. Follow up 22.2 05. MRI. Now awaiting ACL reconstruction and possible MCL and meniscus work on April 1st

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 08:53:23 PM »
 ;D thank you SO mcuh everyon!;D
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline ljk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 12:29:45 AM »
For a general scope/meniscus trimming etc you can expect to be immobile for a couple days.

Most people don't need crutches and the biggest issue is waiting for the swelling to go down,
its the swelling which make it difficult to bend the knee and use the knee and hence cause you to not be mobile.

In my cases(3) the swelling goes down rapidly after a few days and you only have a little problem going down stairs.
The sooner you start using your knee the better otherwise your muscles atrophy and you lose stability.

If infact I do need the scope, I had a few questions for everyone. My OS isn't the best at explaning things to kids because he doesnt deal with them regulary, so when I ask he speaks with all these huge words that I dont understand :P I know most of the following questions depend on how much is done in the knee, but just assume is is very minimal for now.
1.How long can I expect to take off school after this?
2. How long will I stay in the hospital after this?
3. How long on crutches?

If anyone has ever had this and any advice...it oulwd be appriciated!Thx so much ;)
Krista

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 02:35:06 AM »
NATURALLY, this will depend on the procedures done, your pain tolerance , swelling,lots of things, and th OS's personal post op instructions. All three physcians I had scopes from have different protocols. The first, was on crutches WBT, ICE and rest till post op visit. THe one who has done the majority, tells you to go home and when you get up in the morning you can go back to work/school. NOT THE best instructions as basically everybody needs at least a day or so, and Without crutches, I just sort of limped and tried to not put weight on the injured leg.  The third, was go home, and proceed as tolerated. NOT much other than all three said to report fevers above 101, uncontrolled pain( that not controlled by the pain meds given to you) and keep the dressing dry and intact until next office visit. Poor quality instructions.  I would have some sort of ice on hand, and somebody to fill your scripts, maybe on the way home, and if you are any nausea post op in recovery, etc, remember to ask for some Zofran or (if you don't have prescription coverage as it is expensive) another anti emetic.It is nice to have a place already set up with a recliner, sofa, etc and the things you will want within reach. Like tv remote, laptop, book etc. Best of luck, don't worry too much, and if you don't understand the doctor and what he says, ask the nurse and she can explain in simpler terms. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

support