Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee redamaged by MUA  (Read 891 times)

Offline no better

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee redamaged by MUA
« on: February 22, 2005, 04:24:21 AM »
I had knee re-alignment and debridement surgery 12 weeks ago. I have been having more pain and swelling with symptoms that I was suffering with prior to surgery. I had to under-go MUA 4 weeks ago. The knee still hurts. the OS who did the surgery said it look good and that I am just healing slow. I went for a second opinion today and was told that I have the samething wrong all over again (patella tilt with subluxation etc.). The 2nd opinion thinks that the surgery was probably done right but the manipulation probably wrecked the surgery that was done putting me back to square one! Please give me some advice! Is this malpractice? I'm still out of work! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: knee redamaged by MUA
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 08:26:27 AM »
I'm not really sure how an MUA could undo a patellar realignment, to be honest.  Don't get me wrong--I'm not a fan of the MUA, I think it's barbaric and very traumatic.  But I'm not sure how it could affect patellar tilt, unless it caused so much trauma that you developed further scar tissue that is causing your kneecap to pull laterally.  I guess we'd need further details from you regarding the exact procedure you had, and what was done during the MUA (how much ROM did the doctor get--this should be in operative notes), what your symptoms were and what they are now.  And whether you had any damage noted during the MUA...people on this page have reported tendon and ligament ruptures and even broken bones!  It's a terrible thing to do to an already traumatized knee.

Anyway, I think you will need to get some detailed information, including all the nasty little medical jargon and latin words, so that we can better understand what happened and what is going on in your knee now.  If you had a 'minor' patellar realignment like a lateral release, I'm not sure what could have been done during the MUA to reverse that.

You might want to the Soft Tissue Healing Problems section below this waiting room area, and do a search on MUA topics.  There are lots of threads dealing with this procedure, and some very strong feelings about it.  I'm not sure why so many doctors do MUA's; I understand that they may seem like an easy and low-risk fix, but sheesh...the reason you have an MUA is to break up scar tissue in the joint that is interfering with bending the leg.  Scar tissue develops as our bodies heal themselves; excessive scar tissue is the result of serious trauma to the joint.  And an MUA is an incredibly stressful and traumatic thing to do to a knee that was already struggling to heel from being abused surgically....

Read about MUAs and get your medical records so that you have the exact terms and procedures you had.  Then you can post it and we can try to help you muddle through the information.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell