Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: A Permanent TENS  (Read 621 times)

Offline Belinda

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
A Permanent TENS
« on: February 22, 2005, 12:49:44 AM »
Hey all... As you may or may not know Im 14 years old and have RSD in both my knees which is extrememly painful. On my second admission to hospital I was given a tens to try and it is strapped to my knees all day everyday. We have weekly meetings at the hospital but they arent getting me anywhere
I am an active person and the wires disable me quite a bit...
The other day I was watching this show on TV where and a man has back pain, and he had these things inserted under his skin called a simulator, so he has no wires or anything and no more pain.
I was wondering if this was possible in the knees or if anyone has had this done?
I have a meeting with my doctors today so ill ask them then... But does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: A Permanent TENS
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 08:30:29 AM »
I believe this device is called a pain pacemaker.  Right now, it's not approved for knee pain.  I know one person who has it, and he had a wrecked back from a car accident.  He also hurt his knee and ankle in the accident, but the back was what was killing him.  After three years of pain management and pills, he had the pain pacemaker implanted.  It actually resolved all of his pain.  What I'm not sure of (and my brother is trying to find out from his friend) is whether the pain in his knee and ankle was actually mechanical or due to damage of those joints, or whether it stemmed from the damage in his back. 

I'll keep you posted.  If you go to google and type in "Pain pacemaker" you will find the company that made the machine.  It's basically a few years out from being approved for anything besides spinal nerve pain. 

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support