Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI SCANS:CAN TORN LIGAMENTS BE HIDDEN BY TORN MINISCUS  (Read 771 times)

Offline gingercars

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI SCANS:CAN TORN LIGAMENTS BE HIDDEN BY TORN MINISCUS
« on: February 21, 2005, 10:44:10 PM »
Has anybody had experience of a first MRI scan showing a torn meniscus and a later one picking up an intersitual tear of the ACL which was not spotted on the original MRI?
According to a recent consultation , there are only 3 common causes for a knee to buckle and give way . These are
1.A large tear of a meniscal cartilidge(bucket handle)which interferes with the mechanism of the knee
2.A complete tear of the ACL which destabilises the knee joint.
3, A loose piece of bone which can float and jam the mechanism .

Has anybody experienced weakness or instability of the knee when any of the three reasons mentioned above were not present?

brattkids2

Re: MRI SCANS:CAN TORN LIGAMENTS BE HIDDEN BY TORN MINISCUS
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 01:54:20 PM »
I have giving way due to damaged articular cartilage. The first MRI I had shoed every thing was ok except for some joint swelling and extra fluid in the joint. When I would walk my knee would buckle and down I went.

Doctor though my ACL was torn and the reason that my MRI was ok was that the ACL had attached itself to the PCL. So when I went in for the scope I was expecting him to do an ACL reconstruction. When I woke up I found out that I had Osteochondritis Dissecans (this is where the articular cartilage covering the bones is either worn away or gone due to injury). This is not meniscus cartilage. OS explained that when I was walking that when I hit the area where the cartilage was gone it was like an empty pocket and bam you have giving way. I have had OATS to try and correct the defects. I have three large ones. Two on the lateral sind and one on the medial side.

With my first scope there were no loose bodies found.

Any other questions please feel free to contact me!!
Hope you get some relief soon!!!!

Paulette

support