Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How do I...?  (Read 830 times)

Offline Jill2005

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
How do I...?
« on: February 21, 2005, 08:26:27 PM »
Go about asking my current OS for copies of my x-rays?  I have made an appointment with another OS (one who comes highly recommended from a doctor friend of mine) for another opinion and to get his thoughts on my knee.  I like my current OS who has performed my last two surgeries (5/04 and 2/05), but his basic thought is for me to really just "deal with it" until I can have a TKR in 10 years or so.  This really is not acceptable to me as my quality of life at this point is not acceptable.  I can deal with pain, but not at the level it has been for the last year... everyday for the next 10 years.   

I already have copies of my operative reports for my own records and to give to my rheumatologist as well.  Those were no problem asking for.  I just feel like I might tick my current OS off when I ask for my x-rays.  (All my years of knee issues and I have never had an MRI).  If the new OS doesn't feel he can offer me any different solutions, then my guess would be to continue with my current OS - but I don't want there to be ill feelings.

Is there a diplomatic way of asking for my films or do I just tell him I'm going for another opionon?  Keeping in mind... I am one of the least confrontational people you would ever meet!!!  Thanks for any comments you might have. 
3/79 R patellar tendon transfer (Roux-Goldthwait)
7/79 LK (same as above)
5/84 LK arthroscopy/arthrotomy torn lateral meniscus
5/04 LK arthro; partial medial meniscectomy; open lateral retinacular recon w medial retinacular release
2/05 LK arthro w partial synovectomy; partial medial meniscectomy

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: How do I...?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 08:31:35 PM »
There should not be a problem asking for the x-rays. Just call his office and ask the secretary if you can pick them up for a second opinion. No doctor should be upset with a patient for getting a second opinion. Don't worry about it....just call and ask.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 08:41:59 PM »
Hi,

I have had this problem also, what I did was go to my GP and got a note (feels like being in school again for me) she asked them to give me copies of the x-rays.  Then you go to the OS and give them the note and they should give you the copies.  I have found out that some facilities do not want to give you copies of this information (even though it is x-rays of you).  If it is on computer they only have to copy a disc.

Hope this helps,  ;)

Shade
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 09:21:11 PM by Shadehawk »

Offline beckyc

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 08:44:22 PM »
Technically, x-rays are the patients property. After all you paid for them, or your insurance. If it is a small office chances are you will not get copies of the x-rays but the original films. All you should have to do is call and tell them you want them. There should not be any problems.
Becky

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 09:20:25 PM »
Becky,

That is what I thought until I tried to get hold of them and you know they would not even accept the doctor's first note as she had said the paient wanted a copy of the x-rays, I was flatly refused.  Guess everyplace is different though.  I am with you - my insurance paid for all these - so I should be able to get hold of them.  I still have not been able to get them so I am hoping that next try will work.....

Your new OS can also request the x-rays all you would have to do is make a call and tell new OS where the x-rays are.

Shade  ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 09:23:34 PM by Shadehawk »

support