Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: everyone has given up on me :( discouraging  (Read 6093 times)

Offline tripletoeloop

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • **dumb knee**
Re: everyone has given up on me :( discouraging
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 11:34:06 AM »
thanks guys. One of the mainthings is that the OS "bigEgo" wanted me out of the brace which is absolutly killing me to be out of the brace.
1/04 twist knee figure skating
4/04 See OS
5/04 MRI 1
6/04 Twist in PE
6/04 OS gives up on me
1/05 get knee pushed into counter at school
2/05 MRI 2 and OS giving up on me
2/05 waiting for new OS spelialist on knees
******all on right knee******

Offline tripletoeloop

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **dumb knee**
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 03:33:05 AM »
I have an appointment with the roomatologist on march 3rd so hopefully he'll help me.

The worst part is the harassment from the kid who pushed me into a counter and caused this round of problems. He tells me I'm faking it and all that kind of stuff and trys to trip me. My dumb school won't do anything about it either. grrr

4/04 See OS
5/04 MRI 1
6/04 Twist in PE
6/04 OS gives up on me

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 03:54:00 AM »
tripletoeloop -

Please do not give up on yourself. As hard as it may be, the most important thing is to have faith that you WILL get better and that someone WILL eventually find out what is wrong with you. This is coming from a person with a LOT of experience in this area. I had every doctor giving up on me, telling me the pain was all in my head, I even had doctors go as far as telling me I had mental problems!  My ex-PT was the worst with this, always pulling my mother aside and asking her if I'd even gone under any sort of psychological examination because she thought I was making up the pain...I couldn't believe it. I wanted so badly to give up seeing as everyone ELSE had given up on me, but I somehow found the strength and courage to keep on going and I finally found a doctor who believed in me and DID find out what was wrong -- no, I wasn't crazy, I just had a badly damaged knee! My ex-OS had actually wrecked my knee and NEVER told me! And yes, we did sue him for it. I pray that no one ever goes through what I went though, so it breaks my heart to see someone go through the physical and mental pains of a situation similar to mine. I'm praying for you, and I'm also praying that you CAN find someone who has as much faith in you as my current OS has in me to find out what's wrong so you can go on to live a normal, active life again.

Best wishes,
Patricia :)
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline Maverick72

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2005, 01:52:32 AM »
I can empathise with your frustration.  Now totally objectively and putting your emotions aside - What is your chief complaint?  Is it pain?  Is in something structural such as: I can't bend it, it gets 'frozen', it crunches loudly when I bend it.. .

The reason being is that you need to figure out what is the highest priority with your knee then look for a doctor who will at least help you reach that one goal.

As for the pain issue.  Yeah a lot of people who have never had this type of chronic pain can't really understand it.  To understand it means they themselves have to come the the REALIZATION that it CAN HAPPEN to them and most people never want to think like that.  They would rather go with the "blame the victirm" attitude.

Keep coming to this web page and surround yourself with nuturing people.  You can list them if you really think about it.

Also, I've been doing some reading and I found out that capsazin cream (high percentage stuff) has been documented to have some results in joint pain relief.  Something about a "substance P"  that after a while diminishes nerve pain with repeated use. 

Medicine is an art as much a science.  Give it a try.

-Mav
Slip and Fall Jan 04
PT Feb - Nov 04
Neurontin (is my friend) Aug 04 to present
3 MRI's (just a little fluid)
Hoping third Ortho doc is magical

Offline tripletoeloop

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **dumb knee**
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2005, 05:02:28 PM »

Also, I've been doing some reading and I found out that capsazin cream (high percentage stuff) has been documented to have some results in joint pain relief.  Something about a "substance P"  that after a while diminishes nerve pain with repeated use. 

-Mav

That stuff makes it hurt worse and so does heat

Kate
4/04 See OS
5/04 MRI 1
6/04 Twist in PE
6/04 OS gives up on me

Offline Maverick72

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2005, 11:07:41 PM »

-Mav

That stuff makes it hurt worse and so does heat

Kate

HMmn. . .   you're heat sensitive.  That could be a type of allodynia.  Fancy way of saying your nerves have been affected by all the trauma inflicted upon them and now little things (such as temperature changes) can set them off. 

I have distinct nerve damage and i rub that stuff on and don't feel a DAMN thing!!  Poke me with a needle in some areas and YUP. . .nothing!  But some areas can be exceptionally sensitive so you might want to seriously investigate peripheral nerve injury.  Peripheral nerves control hot and cold sensation, pressure, and when 'jacked-up' can confuse "heat" for a "pain" signal. Heck even light touch can set off a pain signal. 

Let me know more.

-MAv.   ::)
Slip and Fall Jan 04
PT Feb - Nov 04
Neurontin (is my friend) Aug 04 to present
3 MRI's (just a little fluid)
Hoping third Ortho doc is magical

Offline tripletoeloop

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **dumb knee**
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2005, 04:10:22 PM »
^^^ my physical therapist said that that stuff only works for arhritis and stuff like that and he also said that if heat made it hurt that it probably was an injury of some sort like a ligiment or tendon.
4/04 See OS
5/04 MRI 1
6/04 Twist in PE
6/04 OS gives up on me

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2005, 06:20:36 PM »
I agree with Patricia, and that as long as you don't give up on yourself, there is still hope, and if you keep trying it doesn't matter what others think. SIT back and make a list of what is causing you problems ,and rank them from worse to least damaging. Try listing meds, treatments, therapy, etc that you have already tried, and the results you had. Gather all your records,of previous exams,etc, and make a list of questions that are as yet, unaswered, and take all this information to your next OS appointment,. THEN try approaching the physcian with your questions, and ask what is what, why this might work or not, and point out what has and has not worked in the past. Try to have an optimistic attitude, as physcians will often respond unfavorably if they feel like you are questioning their medical expertise. BUT don't just sit back and take a bunch of crap. IT is a fine line, BE a prepared, educated patient with your only interest being to improve the outcome of your knee. Your intelligent , educated questions should help prompt the OS to respond in a similar manner.IT is OK to ask them if they feel you would be better treated by another physcian and ask them to refer you to that physcian.  Don't let desperation take over. Keep searching until you find the OS that you and he can work together and get the positive outcome you deserve.  Unfortunately, there are usually no easy answers or quick fixes. KNEES test us beyond comprehension. Good luck, Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline tripletoeloop

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **dumb knee**
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 06:28:31 PM »
I finally got some slightly good news. I get to go to the roomatologist on march 3.

kate
4/04 See OS
5/04 MRI 1
6/04 Twist in PE
6/04 OS gives up on me