Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Multiple Issues  (Read 1009 times)

Offline tiblig

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Multiple Issues
« on: February 21, 2005, 11:18:41 AM »
I'm new here but have been dealing with many knee issues since I fell off a ladder in Dec. of 1997.  I've had 7 knee surgeries.  Tibia plateau fx, ORIF, MCL reconstruction, ACL reconstruction, Meniscus repair, Hardware removal, Diagnostic scope for possible ACI (not a candidate), and I've had 6 series of Synvisc.

I just had an MRI because I've had increasing pain lately.  The following was reported:  ACL graft failure, PCL tear, Anterior Horn Lateral Meniscus tear, bone spurs in all three compartments, no articular cartilage left in the medial compartment, joint effussion and synovitis. 

I have not met with my Orthopod yet but am wondering if anyone with multiple issues would consider having the ACL revision surgery, repair the PCL and also repair the Meniscus even though I know I am an eventual knee replacement candidate.  I'm not sold on Total Knees yet.  Also is it possible to have all those procedures done at one time?  I realize I'm looking at a tough recovery no matter which way I choose to go.  Being the seasoned knee surgery patient that I am I have a very good understanding of recuperation.  I just have so many thoughts going through my head that I'd like some input.

Thank you for your time.
tiblig

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Multiple Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 11:25:39 AM »
 :o Oh my...

I'm afraid I have very little to offer you in the way of suggestions or information.  I've never dealt with the sort of things you are dealing with.  I did want to say that I have known a few people that have had TKR's and it's allowed them to return to a more normal way of living. Some of them old, some of them not so.  There was a guy from this site that was I think 37 and he finally found a doc to do a TKR on him and he returned to riding his bike to work and enjoying his kids again. :D Just a thought..

I just wanted to say I wish you the best of luck and hope that they can put you back together again. 

HUGS and lot's of luck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline hottubpam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Multiple Issues
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 03:14:56 PM »
I think you need to assess what level of activity you want to attain and whether or not you can do that without ACL revision.

I've had 4 surgeries.  I had an ACL reconstruction (done by an incompetent OS) and meniscus repair then had the ACL "sacrificed" removed by another OS because it was put in wrong.  I also developed cyclops lesion and other forms of internal scar tissue requiring further surgeries. 

My plan at this point is to get the arthrofibrosis (scar tissue) under control, wait 1 year and then have ACL revision, because I want to return to skiing, hiking, etc. and I think I need an ACL to do that.  Of course I need the concurrence of my current OS (my 3rd - but he's a genius).

If you have a good OS he/she can help you make the right decision based upon what lifestyle you hope to achieve.

Good luck,
Pam
ACLR, Menisectomy 3/04; ACL resection, Cyclops lesion removal, LOA & MUA 10/04; LOA, LR & AIR 12/29/04;#4&5 surgery on 2/9/05 & 3/2/05 debridement, irrigation & lavage, portal closure; #6  LOA, AIR, LR & other releases 12/9/05; #7 surgery 1/18/06 portal closure, lavage, debrid etc #8 skin graft 3/06

support