Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I'm at a total loss!!!!  (Read 1257 times)

Offline no better

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'm at a total loss!!!!
« on: February 21, 2005, 04:50:56 AM »
I had knee surgery approx. 12 weeks ago. I had (ready for this?) a proximal extensor mechanism re-alignment with chondrectomy and drilling of the patella. In short terms a lateral release and they cleaned the knee up. I look like I had knee replacement. I am 29 yrs. old with a 12 inch scar going from my thigh to my shin, it took 32 staples to close it. I cannot understand why I had to be cut like that. In PT, the only other people that I have seen with scars like mine are knee replacements. Everything that I have been reading has stated that it is done with a scope. My OS told me that it could not be done that way. 4 weeks ago I had to under-go manipulation which improved my range of motion. If I stretch my leg for about 10 minutes I can get it to full range. It is still very painful and I have two large "lumps" on my knee that I'm told are scar tissue. I've done everything that I was instructed to do from post-op to pt and I'm still out of work. I cannot kneel, squat, or climb stairs without alot of pain. I was told that I would be back to work in 6 to 8 weeks, here I am at 12 weeks still feeling bad. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this surgery and cut that bad? I'm going for a second opinion because the OS keeps saying that this is all normal and I'll feel better, but I don't. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Offline knight_of_knee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: I'm at a total loss!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 07:52:36 AM »
I had a totally unrelated surgery that was supposed to be arthroscopic... ya know, 2 to 3 small holes on the knee cap area.  I woke up with 2 small holes on the knee cap area and a 3 inch long incision on the side.  Apparently, in all of the paperwork I signed, I gave consent for an arthrotomy (what you had)  in addition to arthroscopy if needed.

This second surgery (2 fridays ago), they re-did the initial surgery and were able to repair it by going into the same two knee cap holes and leaving the side incision/scar alone.  According to my doctor, its a matter of technique.  Some docs are more capable with the scope than with others... more capable and more comfortable.

So I can't answer any of your questions exactly, but it maybe that your doctor just prefers to perform your type of procedure via an arthrotomy.

Hope things start to look up,

Sid

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 11:18:34 AM »
I agree with Mr Squid, in most cases when you sign the consents, you sign a form that says you give them the athority to do anything that needs doing in there if they deem it is necessary. I have had a LR on both knees, but it was done using the scope.  However, I do know that people have had open LR as well, but not an incision as big as yours.  Maybe the incision is related more to the  Chondrectomy and drilling. :-\ I don't know... the lumps of scar tissue I have  a lump on each leg just about where the Lateral Retinaculum was cut, and they get sore sometimes.  But they are there and they almost feel like bone. :p  Anyway, with an incision as big as you've had, it'd take awhile just to feel better from that. I had a scope and LR back in August on my left knee... and the portals from the Scope are still tender sometimes.  I think a second opinion is a wise decision just to be on the safe side. ::) Especially if you don't feel like it's going the way you feel it should.  Although like my PT says, it can take awhile to feel better after surgery as you are recovering from both the surgical intervention and the symptoms of what was going on in there for so long. ::)
Goodluck and I hope you are getting better soon, I know how frustrating it can be to have these things drag on and on. I'm still struggling to recover from my left knee LR which was 6 months ago. :p

HUGS and hope
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline hottubpam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 03:25:04 PM »
nobetter,

I'd get myself to another OS, ASAP!!!!!  Why did your doctor do a manipulation?  If it was for scar tissue, that procedure MUA (manipulation under anesthesia) does NOT generally work in the long run.  Use the search engine on this bulletin board and type in MUA and/or scar tissue or arthrofibrosis.  You will get a lot of info (and many war stories).  Also if you do suffer from arthrofibrosis you will find the names of the leading physicians who treat this condition successfully.  There is a very specific protocol and it does NOT include the barbaric procedure - MUA.

Good luck,
Pam

ACLR, Menisectomy 3/04; ACL resection, Cyclops lesion removal, LOA & MUA 10/04; LOA, LR & AIR 12/29/04;#4&5 surgery on 2/9/05 & 3/2/05 debridement, irrigation & lavage, portal closure; #6  LOA, AIR, LR & other releases 12/9/05; #7 surgery 1/18/06 portal closure, lavage, debrid etc #8 skin graft 3/06

Offline no better

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 03:32:41 PM »
Thank you so much for the info. I am going for a second opinion today. The manipulation was for scar tissue. I was not told that it could be treated any other way. Ever since it was done me knee is cracking and popping. Hopefully this doc can help me out. Thanks again!

support