Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: torn meniscus, acl, pcl and mcl  (Read 6194 times)

Offline jamakindisaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
torn meniscus, acl, pcl and mcl
« on: February 20, 2005, 08:38:38 PM »

Hey everyone,

I was in an accident in Jamaica last summer (darn Banana Boat!) and tore my MCL,PCL,ACL and medial meniscus. My OS has schedualed me for a scope on Feb.24 and I'm feeling a little bit nervous. I dont know what exactly he is going to do! I'm worried about the length of recovery as I'm a newly single mother with a VERY active 3 yr old. Has anyone had same MRI results followed with surgery. Please let me know :) I realize not every injury is the same procedure but if anyone can shed some light on my situation it would be very much appreciated.

Thanking anyone who replies in advance :)

Shannon

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: torn meniscus, acl, pcl and mcl
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 10:32:02 PM »
Hi Shannon,
I was in the same situation as you with torn ACL/PCL/MCL with a bit of extra lateral damage as well - I found that it doesn't make for a great knee unless you have something done about it (preferably an expert multiligament surgeon)
Is there any reason that nothing has been done about it before now and how have you been managing over the past few months? It must be tough with a toddler

I had a diagnostic arthroscopy 3 months post injury which confirmed everything on the MRI and then started reconstruction surgery 2 months later. Eventually i have ended up with a reasonable result.

I assume y our arthroscopy is just to have a look. Otherwise you would have been told that you are going to have major reconstruction with a stay in hospital and major limitations. Where are you based?

The one thing that I learned through all my experiences was to eventually find a surgeon who was very experienced in multiligament surgery - I just wish I had found him sooner. When you have had your arthroscopy and start to plan a definitive procedure with your surgeon just double check how much experience he has (in particular with combined ACL/PCL deficiencies)
Good luck
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 10:48:45 PM »
note:KJ posted while I was writing this but I havent got time to alter it so am posting as was :)
Hi Shannon

To have some idea of what your surgeon might do we really need to know what sort of condition you and your knee are in at present?! For instance...can you walk (with/without a limp?), is your knee very unstable and how often does it give way if so (and in what manner?) .....also, are you in pain...can you straighten and bend the knee fully??...and so on!!

Sorry for all the questions but they are really important to get an idea of your current situtation....

Anyway, I would have thought it's most likely he will do an exploratory scope to see just how much damage has been done in there...because as you have quite a complex and serious injury...an MRI may not be relied on alone to plan a treatment plan for you. (sometimes they are interpreted incorrectly or are misleading)

Surgical options....MCL tears are normally left to heal themselves and are only surgically reconstructed in very few cases....PCLs are very comlex and awkward to reconstruct and if the individual has NO instability problems or other issues are often not operated on (if they are the rehab is quite long and arduous I think...About 8 weeks on crutches followed by "a good while!" getting flexion slowly back and rehabbing the leg)...

ACL recon is the most common of these procedures and although some accelerated rehab protocols are around... an "average" time to recover fully is 6-9 months...though some people are off crutches and walking/limping after a week or two post operation.....though this is where the meniscus comes in!!

Unfortuantely, due to the extensive nature of your injury...even a "best case" scenario is going to have a fairly long rehab period I would have thought :o
Meniscus tears are VERY amenable to repair when they are done in conjunction with an ACL recon (this is due to the amount of blood in the joint that assists healing apparently) but normally only a very limited part of the outer edge of the meniscus can be repaired as this is the only part with a blood supply (the periphery/posterior of either meniscus).....

It would be a GOOD thing if you can have a repair as you Really want to try and keep your meniscus intact if you can....BUT....you would most likely need to be on crutches for 3 - 6 weeks depending on your surgeons protocol....I was on crutches for 4 weeks after my lateral meniscus repair (to a huge tear in the bit with a blood supply luckily)

Anyway...hope this helps a bit and if you can post back with some more info it would be good  ;)

All the best
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline jamakindisaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 02:58:44 AM »

Dear: KJ and Andrew

Thank you both for being so prompt in your responses to my very first post. I was launched from a Banana Boat in Jamaica on Aug.29. I went directly to the hospital upon my arrival in Canada (Toronto) 2 days later. The hospital in Jamaica I might add was an experience to last a life time.  :) Anyway, I had to wait until Halloween for a MRI and worked my butt off at PT to regain my ROM.
I had several instances where my knee would give out and constant pain (oh the pain!!!!!).Due to the results of MRI my OS advised me to stop the vigorous PT and just focus on ROM. By that point I pretty much had it back however I still absolutely can not bend all the way. Not so much locking just unbearable pain and lots of cracking and grinding sounds. The same problem if I hyper extend. The last visit I had with my OS was to discuss MRI results and he said my knee is "quite a mess" and he will try to take care of it in one scope. He seemed more concerned with the tear in my medial meniscus and in my PCL rather than ACL and MCL. Oh ya there MIGHT be a tear in the lateral meniscus as well. As for my present condition it took ALOT of pain and PT to get me moving around as well as I do. I just find it hard to believe that in 3 days I will be laid up again for who knows how long? I know in the long run it will be worth it since  my knee is anything but stable (isnt it funny the tricks and limitations you learn by having an injured crucial joint!). I understand that a repair is much more of a  lengthy recovery as opposed to a "trimming" of the meniscus. Depending where the tear is located the surgeon does not have much of a choice. I am worried about the degenerative wear on my knee as I am a very active parent at 26 years of age. Sorry it took me so long to respond back but it not to easy to find the time with the little one. Once again thank you so much for the concern. Take care.

Shannon  ;D

Offline chipongwe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 02:41:53 PM »
Hi there,

I'm a new member and i was just reading your injury details - sounds familiar.  Following an MRI scan two years ago I was told I had to have a multi ligament reconstruction - ALC, PCL, MCL. I was hospitalised in the UK for 5 days and had a full plaster fitted for 6weeks following.  Then started with physio for 6 months. During that time I had to revisit the hospital for MUA (manipulation under anesthetic) as the headling ligaments had stuck thus preventing me from fully bending the knee.
Although it sounds a huge ordeal - 2 years later I am at 95% recovery and improving ! The medical consultant gave me the impression that recovery would be no better that 80% so I'm extremely pleased. My Knee always feels different, but there is no pain and it is fully stable. 
Whilst I was in POP i often wondered what would be my level of recovery and wished I found this site before, to share trialls and experences.
Just on a final note, I blay badminton twice a week and hill walk monthly - so it was well worth the stress and pain  ;)
Chip

Offline fabienzan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »
Hi there,

I'm a new member and i was just reading your injury details - sounds familiar.  Following an MRI scan two years ago I was told I had to have a multi ligament reconstruction - ALC, PCL, MCL. I was hospitalised in the UK for 5 days and had a full plaster fitted for 6weeks following.  Then started with physio for 6 months. During that time I had to revisit the hospital for MUA (manipulation under anesthetic) as the headling ligaments had stuck thus preventing me from fully bending the knee.
Although it sounds a huge ordeal - 2 years later I am at 95% recovery and improving ! The medical consultant gave me the impression that recovery would be no better that 80% so I'm extremely pleased. My Knee always feels different, but there is no pain and it is fully stable. 
Whilst I was in POP i often wondered what would be my level of recovery and wished I found this site before, to share trialls and experences.
Just on a final note, I blay badminton twice a week and hill walk monthly - so it was well worth the stress and pain  ;)
Chip

Hi Shannon,

I am wondering how you are doing now. I had a basketball injury with ACL tear and medial and lateral meniscus damaged. I am 43 so the meniscus tear might need to be removed. I am the same as you worried about OA in the longer run (10 years)

Offline fabienzan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 05:41:39 AM »
note:KJ posted while I was writing this but I havent got time to alter it so am posting as was :)
Hi Shannon

To have some idea of what your surgeon might do we really need to know what sort of condition you and your knee are in at present?! For instance...can you walk (with/without a limp?), is your knee very unstable and how often does it give way if so (and in what manner?) .....also, are you in pain...can you straighten and bend the knee fully??...and so on!!

Sorry for all the questions but they are really important to get an idea of your current situtation....

Anyway, I would have thought it's most likely he will do an exploratory scope to see just how much damage has been done in there...because as you have quite a complex and serious injury...an MRI may not be relied on alone to plan a treatment plan for you. (sometimes they are interpreted incorrectly or are misleading)

Surgical options....MCL tears are normally left to heal themselves and are only surgically reconstructed in very few cases....PCLs are very comlex and awkward to reconstruct and if the individual has NO instability problems or other issues are often not operated on (if they are the rehab is quite long and arduous I think...About 8 weeks on crutches followed by "a good while!" getting flexion slowly back and rehabbing the leg)...

ACL recon is the most common of these procedures and although some accelerated rehab protocols are around... an "average" time to recover fully is 6-9 months...though some people are off crutches and walking/limping after a week or two post operation.....though this is where the meniscus comes in!!

Unfortuantely, due to the extensive nature of your injury...even a "best case" scenario is going to have a fairly long rehab period I would have thought :o
Meniscus tears are VERY amenable to repair when they are done in conjunction with an ACL recon (this is due to the amount of blood in the joint that assists healing apparently) but normally only a very limited part of the outer edge of the meniscus can be repaired as this is the only part with a blood supply (the periphery/posterior of either meniscus).....

It would be a GOOD thing if you can have a repair as you Really want to try and keep your meniscus intact if you can....BUT....you would most likely need to be on crutches for 3 - 6 weeks depending on your surgeons protocol....I was on crutches for 4 weeks after my lateral meniscus repair (to a huge tear in the bit with a blood supply luckily)

Anyway...hope this helps a bit and if you can post back with some more info it would be good  ;)

All the best
If I am not wrong this is only true if surgery performed soon after injury : "Meniscus tears are VERY amenable to repair when they are done in conjunction with an ACL recon (this is due to the amount of blood in the joint that assists healing apparently) but normally only a very limited part of the outer edge of the meniscus can be repaired as this is the only part with a blood supply (the periphery/posterior of either meniscus)....." Please correct me if I am wrong

Offline nathtan92

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:27:16 AM »
hey everybody,

Im Nathanael a rugby player from Malaysia currently studying in New Zealand. I tore my knee during a game. A player just dove in the side of my knee and the whole thing collapsed. I had a full knee recon early april this year. Had my acl,pcl and mcl replaced with allografts and had my medial meniscus scoped. Been doing physio almost everyday for the past 5 months. Im back to walking now but my knee is still feeling abit loose at the mcl and acl. Im only 22 so this is really hard for me mentally. I dont want my rugby career to end now.  I would just wanna ask about how the situation of you guys right now? any of you back to doing sports? Thanks i really appreciate this and need some inspiration. cheers. god bless.

support