Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hmmm... I have a lot of hypermobile items!  (Read 3497 times)

Offline mherren

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hmmm... I have a lot of hypermobile items!
« on: January 23, 2003, 08:21:40 AM »

I was searching around the site, and came across the oddbods pictures.  What surprised me is that I can do a lot of those things!  I actually pick things up with my feet when they fall on the floor, and put them back where they belong.  My knees hyperflex, and I can bend my leg back at the knee so it touches by butt.  I can do the ballerina feet thing, and I've always been able to pop my shoulder out of it's socket by laying down and turning a certain way.

The really weird thing is that after I had my daughter 18 months ago as a VBAC (normal delivery after a c-section), I started having hip/lower back problems.  Sometimes when I stand up, my lower back (were talking way down low between my pelvic bones) will let out this huge pop, and I can feel things shift.  Also, if I squeeze my left buttock muscle, my back will pop between my hips.  Quite painful at times, oddly relieving at other times.

The thing I wanted to ask (LOL, now that I've written a book!) is about my hips/legs.  I've always walked a bit bowlegged... though it's only my feet that pointed outwards.  When I lay down, I find it almost impossible to lay with my knees *and* feet pointed upwards at a 12 o'clock position.  It's very uncomfortable to squeeze my quads together to get my legs in a normal position.  Oddly enough, I've trained myself to walk with my feet pointed forward.

Do you think the hip thing is hypermobility?  Do any of your have this problem?  My father has fibromyalgia, and my mother, grandmother, aunts (on maternal side) all have severe osteoporosis.. my mother found out she had it by breaking her hip at age 41.

Thanks for reading, and for sharing any information!

Oh... one more odd part!  I'm really overweight, which seems atypical for hypermobility.

Michelle
Lateral Release on R knee 2-99, LR/Medial Reefing on R knee 3-25-03 after stumble that reinjured knee

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: Hmmm... I have a lot of hypermobile items!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 09:33:16 AM »
as to the being oerweight this can be a part of Hypermobility after having impared mobility as you become more and more injured and immobile.
Haing more joint problems after a pregnancy and birth is common in hypermobiles as the hormones that help a womans body carry and prepare for birth etc make a hypermobile even MORE flexible.
The joint you are talking about in between the hips and the back is the Sacro-Iliac Joint and is a classic bad spot for subluxations etc in Hypermobiles.
As to the rest. A hypermobile is anyone who can moe joints more than what is considered "mormal" to be classified as a Hypermobile they use a series of tests for a possible score out of 9 and any score from about 4 or 5 out of 9 is considered Hypermobile. There are 2 kinds of Hypermobility one is Aquired (as in trained to be so) and the other is inherited (as in you are born with it).
The tests are 1 point for each hand that you can bend the little fingers back to 90 degrees or beyond, 1 point for each hand that you can bend the thumbs down to touch the wrist/forearm, 1 point for each arm that the elbow bends back past 10 degrees (Hyperextension), 1 point for each leg that the knee bends back more than 10 degrees (Hyperextension),  and 1 point for being able to put your palms flat on the floor with you legs together and straight for a total of a possible 9 points.
Now if you are hypermobile and have other symptoms then you are said to have a "hypermobility syndrome" of which there are many. If you have a look at the following web site it will give you one set of criteria for diagnosis of HMS (Hypermobility Syndrome)
http://www.hypermobility.org/diagnosis.shtml The beighton scale is the above scores I mentioned.
The other main Hypermobility Syndromes are Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (of which there are around 9 types), Marfans Syndrome and Osteogenisis Imperfecta, if you look these up on the net you will find out the symptoms etc for these syndromes.
Hope this helps and welcome to the Odd Bod family
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

SL99

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 10:27:49 PM »
Firstly, hi Michelle and welcome to the Odd Bod corner!  ;D

As for the out toeing issue. I have all kinds of misalgnments problems, from my spine and pelvis being out of whack to a major deformity in my femur and knee area. As a result if my ankles are "straight" my knees are actaully completely on the inside of my leg. If I rotate my knee into a normal position however it is impossible for me to place my feet flat on the floor without sticking them out Charlie Chaplin style. Alternatively I end up walking on the very outside of my foot with the foot sort of curled up.

It's actually pretty hard to describe in words so I'll try and take some photo's with my digi cam and post them as it's easier to understand whe you actually see it. Although, heck, I live with and I still don't understand it!!  ;)

I'll try and get the photo's done soon. Meanwhile hope all my fellow Odd Bods are well.

Love.....Jo
xx

« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 10:28:15 PM by SL99 »

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 02:56:50 AM »
Hi There Michelle!
Well, I've got a few things in common with you!  I have the same thing with the lower joints in my back.  When I contract the muscles in my abdomin when I am lying down I can hear/feel the joints pop back where it is more comfortable for them to be.  And also with the knee/foot thing.  When I lie down, my legs rotate outwards so that my knee caps are pointing outwards a little bit, and my toes are pointing at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock!  And when I stand my toes have to point at 10 o'clock (left toe) and 2 o'clock (right foot) to make my knees point straight.  This really had my chiro/pt freaked out to the point that he was sure I'd have to have this elaborate rotational surgery.  Also, when I lie down my left hip will sometimes slip out of place and I physically cannot sit up until I somehow get it slipped back into position.  Almost always, that only happens when I lay down, but on christmas day when I went to stand myself up off a couch it slipped out on me!  Yow, that was not pleasant doing that while weightbearing on it.  

Well welcome to the odd bod group!  I bet you anything, the longer you are around you will be saying "hey I have that too", or "that happens to me all the time!" more and more!  Its inevitable lol.  

Bye bye for now

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

support