Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: First time here...looking for insight or maybe advice  (Read 723 times)

Offline Lolee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
First time here...looking for insight or maybe advice
« on: February 19, 2005, 05:54:38 AM »
This is my first trip to this web site and it looks to be helpful.
I have had a ttt and lateral release and plica excision, all within the last 3 years.  I still have  some of the original problem, namely the clicking and thunking from my kneecap slipping out of place.
I still have pain climbing stairs and walking long distances.  i cannot really stand on my knee at work if i have had to climb stairs previously that day.
I still have the screws in my leg from the TTT and my surgeon would like to take them out and look inside (scope it) to find a reason for my continued pain and "clicking".

Has anyone had screws taken out or left in?  Has anyone gotten a solution to the clicking or been in this situation before?

Offline Liz_-_UK

• Forum Faithful
  • Together is the bestest place to be
Re: First time here...looking for insight or maybe advice
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 05:26:49 PM »
Hi Lolee,

Sorry you have to be here, but welcome!

I'll try to help as much as i can because some of your story sounds very familiar! My last major surgery was a TTT and LR and i still have the screws in but am hoping to get them taken out in April.

As i understand it, removing them won't solve the problems of clunking that i still have and it won't solve the pain in the joint, or the pain after walking or standing.

But it will fix the pain at the screw site which is a big thing for me - and i figure anything that reduces some of the pain has to be good!

But i think a scope will be a good idea because as well as taking out the screws he can have a look around and see if there is any scar tissue that could be causing problems, or any damage to the back of the kneecap.

It might be worth getting a second opinion before you go ahead though.

Hope this helps,

Liz
xxx
03/95 - LR on left knee, 08/95 - LR on right knee, 03/98 - failed TTT left knee. Several scopes. 12/01 TTT and LR on left knee. Great for a while but now more problems.

Offline no better

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: First time here...looking for insight or maybe advice
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 04:40:03 AM »
Go for a 2,3,or even 4th opinion. I had re-alignmentdebridement surgery 12 weeks ago, underwent MUA 4 weeks ago, and found out through a second opinion today that the MUA is probably what redamaged my knee and the only way to fix it is another surgery that could possibly end in a TTT. I'm still having pain, instability, and popping. They opened me up for my surgery. I was told that My surgery could not be done artherscopic, that they had to open me up. A 12 inch incision from my thigh to my shin later and it's messed up again. I foud out today that it is done arthroscopic, but it's up to the comfort of the OS on how they would do it (I was not told that!) My advice, start less extensive procedures first. I know I didn't answer your question very well, but I know what it's like to be opened up thinking that your fixed only to find your symptoms are no better. Ask alot of questions.

support