Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Question about diagnosis  (Read 985 times)

Offline rivenrose

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • My Livejournal
Question about diagnosis
« on: February 18, 2005, 08:31:29 PM »
Hi, I'm Lauren and am new to this board.
I have had continual knee problems for many years, and last winter got a lateral release on my right knee and was going to follow through with the left knee, but it didnt really do anything.
revisited to orthopedist, this time a new doctor b/c the old one doesnt take my insurance, he babbled something about the Q-angle being 22 degrees, way too much for a girl apparently. So I have some problem that most people grow out of, Dr. Koss said only 10% of people DON'T grow out of it, and I'm 20 so I guess Im not growing out of it.
So he said my best option, although it seems crazy to me, is to cut my bone, I guess the shin bone, and "move it over, to lessen the Q-angle" and make my knees re-aligned. He said the surgery works only 70% of the time, and is rare since most people grow out of it. He said the surgery results in a large vertical scar, the bone often protrudes where it was moved over, making a bump, and I'll never be able to kneel comfortably again if I get the surgery.
As a starter, I got shoe inserts, real ones (not crap Dr. Scholls ones) and they help my alignment a little, apparently.
Anyway, I've been in perpetual pain for about 6 years, and was wondering if anyone know anything about what I have, what the surgery is called, or anything else. Dr. koss says he's only done 7 of the surgeries, which makes me hella nervous, but he didn't give me enough details. Im going to call the office next week so I can straighten it all out and figure out exactly whats wrong with me, but I would love to seem like I know what I'm talking about.
So if anyone has any clue as to what I am talking about, from the problem to the procedure, I'd love some advice or opinions.
The surgery seems huge and scary to me, and I dont want to jump right into something I dont understand. Also, if you dont get what Im saying, feel free to ask more questions, Im sure this whole entry makes very little sense.

thank you!!! :)
~lauren~

Offline beckyc

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Question about diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 10:18:02 PM »
The q angle of the knee is basically a line drawn through the quads and a line drawn through the patellar tendon, then the angle is measured. Women naturally have a larger q angle because they have those child bearing hips. (wider pelvis) So if you can imagine a wide pelvis and then the thigh bone attached to it. The thigh bone does not go straight down, it angles inwards and then the shin corrects for that angle. So if your q angle is too large, there is some sort of biomechanical problem causing that. Very basically you could consider it knock-kneed or bow-legged depending on which way you go. My 6 year old son has been seen for a similar problem but nothing is being done at this point in the hopes that he will outgrow it. Sorry, can't remember the name of the procedure. I would definitely get 2nd and 3rd opinions on this. And if you can find someone who has performed more of these procedures. I do know they are pretty rare, but Good Luck, keep on asking questions.
Becky

Offline Luis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Question about diagnosis
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 10:19:11 PM »
Hi, I'm Lauren and am new to this board.
I have had continual knee problems for many years, and last winter got a lateral release on my right knee and was going to follow through with the left knee, but it didnt really do anything.
revisited to orthopedist, this time a new doctor b/c the old one doesnt take my insurance, he babbled something about the Q-angle being 22 degrees, way too much for a girl apparently. So I have some problem that most people grow out of, Dr. Koss said only 10% of people DON'T grow out of it, and I'm 20 so I guess Im not growing out of it.
So he said my best option, although it seems crazy to me, is to cut my bone, I guess the shin bone, and "move it over, to lessen the Q-angle" and make my knees re-aligned. He said the surgery works only 70% of the time, and is rare since most people grow out of it. He said the surgery results in a large vertical scar, the bone often protrudes where it was moved over, making a bump, and I'll never be able to kneel comfortably again if I get the surgery.
As a starter, I got shoe inserts, real ones (not crap Dr. Scholls ones) and they help my alignment a little, apparently.
Anyway, I've been in perpetual pain for about 6 years, and was wondering if anyone know anything about what I have, what the surgery is called, or anything else. Dr. koss says he's only done 7 of the surgeries, which makes me hella nervous, but he didn't give me enough details. Im going to call the office next week so I can straighten it all out and figure out exactly whats wrong with me, but I would love to seem like I know what I'm talking about.
So if anyone has any clue as to what I am talking about, from the problem to the procedure, I'd love some advice or opinions.
The surgery seems huge and scary to me, and I dont want to jump right into something I dont understand. Also, if you dont get what Im saying, feel free to ask more questions, Im sure this whole entry makes very little sense.

thank you!!! :)
~lauren~

support