Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Successful Patello-Femoral Joint Replacement  (Read 5687 times)

Offline kmap71

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • I hate Mornings!
Successful Patello-Femoral Joint Replacement
« on: February 18, 2005, 09:55:01 AM »
Hi, My name Is Elizabeth.  You can find my story under Post-Op diary, subject, "PFJR Dec. 28th, 2004", but I'll fill you in from the beginning in as few words possible.  I'm not done yet, but so far, I wouldn't call this anything less than a success.

I'm 33 years old and have suffered knee (joint) problems the majority of my life.  I was born with maltracking patellas which ended up in my having arthroscopy with lateral release on both knees.  My left in 1998 (successful) and my right in 2002 (sooo, NOT successful). 

I've worked hard jobs, ie.. roofing, sheetrocking, laying carpet, other home repair, working in the fields, working on a ranch, just basically treated my body like it was built "Ford Tough" lol.  At any rate, I've done alot of damage myself and inherited some junk from my family which didn't help.  I worked hard and played hard, and did alot of damage to my knees on my own, aside from the "family factor".

Okay, on with the reason for my posting.  I started having extreme pain, dislocating, weakness, grinding, popping, the whole nine, in my right knee which ended in the OS from my (successful) left knee arthroscopy with LR telling me I waited way tooooo long before coming back in to get the arthroscopy.  I was brought in for the surgery within a week of the appointment and it SOOO failed.  I was in WORSE pain after the surgery, even after the healing process was supposed to be over.  It literally felt like I had one HUGE shard of broken glass in my knee along with a bunch of smaller pieces of broken glass.  I was in gosh-awful pain for over two years.  My original OS gave up on me after I went through the rooster juice series, cortisone, and drainings.  I was a complete mess, out of my mind with that pain, young and wanting to be active but ended up gaining (over the span of two years) over..don't faint..fifty pounds.  Okay, my original OS gave up on me when I started asking for another surgery.  I found another OS and he turned me down for surgery.  OS number 3 wanted to take out both of my patellas..umm.keep my patellas and my pain or lose my patellas and my strength....not a tough choice for me, I'll keep my patellas thank you.  OS number 4 prescribed a bunch of PT( and added that keeping my patellas was soooo smart) and said that if it didn't help within a year, he'd consider a PFR, but didn't want to do it because of my age.  (Oh, my age was everybody else's reason for not wanting to help me.)  OS number 5 wanted to do a Fulkerson TTT..I couldn't wrap my brain around having screws protruding from my shin, he also said I would benefit from a PFJR but he didn't know anyone who did them.  (I'm in Oklahoma.)  OS number 6 said that my knee was definitely bad and I sure did need surgery, but uh, no, "you're in your early 30's, not gonna happen."  My husband and I during this two years did alot of research on the internet and read alot about the PFR and deduced from my medical records that I would be the perfect candidate (aside from age) for this and could potentially benefit from it incredibly.  Well, we found a website http://www.kinamed.com/kineMatchPFR.html .. my husband contacted the company and a Mr. Bruce told us of a doctor here in Oklahoma who had inquired about the PFR...soo...my husband and I sent this doctor a letter about me which ended up in his wanting to see me.  OS number SEVEN took a look at 3 x-rays and the photo from the inside of my knee during the arthroscopy two years prior, listened to my story, barely messed with my knee, told me that he had never performed a PFR and that he had researched them before and after hearing from me.  He liked the info on the Vanguard PFR http://www.biomet.com/surgeons/products/index.cfm?p=0A0604 better than the Kinemed, so that's the one we ultimately went with.  He was hardly hesitant (except for my age).  I had isolated patellofemoral arthritis and from what he could see, my poor kneecap was SHOT.  We scheduled the surgery and I went in on Dec. 28, 2004 to be his guinea pig.

Post-op, Dr. Bryant, my brilliant, awesome, caring, compassionate, genius OS to whom I'm forever indebted, told me that he could definitely understand why I was in so much pain.  My kneecap was 70-80% gone and it was just a mess in there.  He did the PFJR..I'll remind you, his first ever, and has been patiently waiting to make me his poster child.  I went in last week for my 6 weeks post-op visit and made him smile from ear to ear.  (I told him that I thought I would forever be cursed with that horrendous pain in my knee and now I'm pain FREE.  He said that although he wasn't worried about the mechanics of the surgery, he was worried about how I would be able to handle it and also said that it's not very often he has a patient as thrilled as me about having had major knee surgery, especially someone who is PAIN FREE.  Now, I do say "pain free"...I do still have some discomfort with some swelling, the scar is a little tender at times and of course, the PT isn't a picnic, but there is NO patella pain whatsoever, NONE.)  I am still in PT, but I'm strong and my knee has NO pain.  I am getting stronger as each day goes by.  We're working on balance, ROM, scar and strength in PT right now, but both my OS and my physical therapist feel that I'm going to make a complete and magnificent recovery.  I can honestly say that I do NOT regret having had this surgery and I feel sooooooooo much better now than pre-op and I'm just seven weeks out. 

I will add here that, not only do I feel better, but I've quit smoking (pre-op) and lost 16 lbs (post-op).  I'm more active now at 7 weeks post-op than I was for two years pre-op.  I can and do ride my recumbant exercise bike and use other personal exercise equipment at home to aid in my recovery.  I don't just rely on PT sessions to get back the use of my leg/knee, I work hard at home as well and I believe that plays a huge part in the process of getting better.

I strongly believe that this surgery could benefit so many others in my shoes.  Young, athletic, vibrant women/men who suffer the severe pain of isolated patellofemoral arthritis and get no relief from the other options.  Believe me, all other options were exhausted or considered before I went through with this major surgery.  I wouldn't recommend it for just anyone, but I will say that I don't regret having had it done.

If anyone has any questions or just wants to comment, please feel free to IM me or I'll just check back in here periodically to see if there are comments.  If there are any doctors who read this who would like more info on my specific case, I'd be happy to share the actual medical info if it'll help others.  I promised my doc and myself that I'd get on my soapbox if this worked and as far as I'm concerned, it has worked and I need a soapbox! 

If you're interested on my further progress, you can check my regular postings in Post-Op Diary, PFJR Dec. 28, 2004. 

I hope this helps someone.

Elizabeth
booboo 1987 & 1999 Lknee, arthroscopy w/LR 1998 successful with PT
R knee deterioration 2002, arthroscopy w/LR, Hyalgan/Synvisc shots
cortisone shots in both knees
PFJR right knee 12/28/04
Left knee scope 09/06 found grade IV chondromalacia
 PFJR left knee 04/27/10

shadehawk

Re: Successful Patello-Femoral Joint Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 02:31:59 PM »
Elizabeth,

Just finished reading your post and I am truly so happy to hear your good news.  It is just delightful that you have managed to stay so upbeat through all this - your perseverence has definately paid off.  Your OS sounds great - I am soooo glad that your found him and trusted in him.  Support from your hubby - is also a big boost in progress. 

Glad to hear about the smoking and weight loss - that is also great.  I am working on both of those things myself, guess we all have to lose a few pounds when we have knee problems.

CONGRATULATIONS, ELIZABETH
Hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline pbutz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 03:54:56 PM »
Elizabeth:

I am so glad to hear that you found an orthopaedic surgeon that could help you with your patellofemoral arthritis.  It sounds like you are doing very well and living a more normal life. 

I am a product manager at Biomet Orthopedics, Inc. in Warsaw, Indiana and the Vanguard PFR, Patellofemoral Replacement System is one of my product responsiblities.  This is a new system to our company (six-months) but has been used by the design surgeon, Dr. Walter Abendschein of Washington, DC for over four-years.  He has had great success for his patients who have received the Vanguard PFR implant and spared them from more invasive types of surgery for the knee.

In light of all the marketing and advertising you hear from the orthopedic companies today, the bottom line is that we do it for one reason, and one reason only: To help the patients have a more normal lifestyle and eliminate their pain. 

Congratulations and good luck to you.

Sincerely,

Pam Butz
Product manager-knees
Biomet, Orthopedics, Inc.
Warsaw, IN

Offline budaaa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 03:58:15 PM »
Elizabeth,

It was with great pleasure that I read of the success of the Vanguard Patellofemoral Replacement in your situation. I developed the concept, the technique and the prosthesis over a period of years during which there was no good surgical alternative for patients with isolated patellofemoral arthritis . Most of these patients were also young enough to make total knee replacement a very much less desirable option.

Best wishes for continued relief of pain and improved function.

Walter Abendschein, MD

Offline kmap71

• Forum Faithful
  • I hate Mornings!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 01:20:01 PM »
Thanks Biomet and Dr. Walter Abendschein.  This has truly given me back my life.  I am now five and a half months post-op and am doing wonderfully.  I'm so thrilled with the Vanguard PFR and my orthopaedic surgeon that when I've drawn my last straw on this left knee, I'll be getting it done too. For now, I think I'll just go for the cortisone.   ;) That PFR surgery is quite an ordeal!

I'll briefly update you on my recovery:  My knee is getting pretty strong.  I've been out of physical therapy for a few months now and just doing my own exercises at home.  I can do almost everything I could before my failed right arthroscopy.  No volleyball of course, and other than to rescue my daughter from a fall down the stairs, no running.  Yes, I did run to her rescue and was shocked afterward, but I don't think I'll be doing much of that!  I will say that it did not hurt, but as I have been advised against running, I'll be sure to only run when it's absolutely necessary.   ;) I can dance again which is a huge plus for me because I absolutely love to dance.  I can play frisbee with my kids and even shoot a few hoops.  Housework (except for kneeling) is a breeze as is yardwork (again, no kneeling).  I will say that I suffer no pain in the knee when I kneel, just a very irritating discomfort in my scar.  My mother, who has had a TKR, said it took several years for her to be able to kneel without that aggravating feeling in the scar.

I can bend the knee so far that I can almost kick myself in the rear.  Now, I don't know the degree of bend, but I do know that it's way more than Dr. Bryant expected me to be able to do.  I can sit "indian style", which is another of the things I was told I wouldn't be able to do.  From a standing position, I can squat and stand back up without assistance.  I've been without a cane for several months.  I walk with absolutely no limp and sometimes I forget I ever had the surgery!  I will say that there are days when the weather is particularly bad that I have somewhat of an ache in my knee, but it's hardly a nuisance.  I lived so long with the severe pain that now the little ache is nothing at all.  I just take a couple Tylenol and I'm on my way.  I can also stand balanced on the operative leg only. 

I guess these little things that I like to call milestones can be largely attributed to the hard work of my physical therapist.  From walker, to cane, to walking unassisted, to standing on one leg, to cleaning and cooking and yardwork, to dancing...the list just keeps building.  A little at a time I'm getting back to my old self and I'm loving every minute of it!  I'm starting to feel my age again!!!  ;D

My husband, parents and children have all noticed the marked change in me since the surgery.  I'm much happier and alot more active.  Thank God for the Vanguard PFR and my awesome OS Dr. Charles Bryant! 

Elizabeth A. Morton
PFJR right knee 12/28/04
 PFJR left knee 04/27/10

Offline kmap71

• Forum Faithful
  • I hate Mornings!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 06:57:16 PM »
Read my story
http://www.biomet.com/patients/elizabeth_morton.cfm

I'm now almost two years out from the PFR and I'm doing GREAT!!!!

PFJR right knee 12/28/04
 PFJR left knee 04/27/10