Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cardiovascular exercise several weeks before ACL reconstruction  (Read 968 times)

Offline DaisyRoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cardiovascular exercise several weeks before ACL reconstruction
« on: February 18, 2005, 03:46:03 AM »
Can anyone recommend some cardio exercise that I can do before my surgery in late March?  I recently tore my ACL in a ski accident and would like to find *something* I can do to keep active and fit without further damage to my knee.  I was thinking specifically about something in the pool.  Any ideas would be very appreciated.  I see the physical therapist soon.  Thank you. ;)

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Cardiovascular exercise several weeks before ACL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 08:27:35 AM »
I swam quite a bit before my acl reconstruction but avoid breast stroke as it puts too much stress on the knee.

Rachel

Offline knight_of_knee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 02:34:07 PM »
Pools are great...  ever tried aqua-jogging or aqua-walking?  If you have access to a long length pool, this can be good for raising heart rate while reducing stress on joints.  The pool I used to have even had special jogging belts... so that when you go to the deep end, you could still jog without having to have your feet on the bottom of the pool.

I've also taken some pretty hard core water aerobics classes.  These classes were not water aerobics you think of with older people with soft gentle music and soft, slow, moving.  These classes were aerobic rock music that kept you going and instructor who danced around on the pool deck (which you were supposed to mimic in the pool).  The dancing alone almost made the class worth it.

Are both knees injured?  If not, what about pedaling a stationary bike (if you have access to one) with just one leg.... have the other leg up on a chair or stool so that the bad leg is out of the way of the pedal.

Also, again, don't know if you have access but a hand bike might be a good idea... you sit infront and pedal with your arms, not legs.

Good luck to you.

Sid

Offline DaisyRoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 06:28:25 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  I found some exercise classes at the local pool and will look into that.  I'm not sure about using my good leg on the recumbent bike.  Won't that throw off my weight and potentially my back?  Again, thanks for all the help.  I just found this board yesterday and am glad that there are many people like me who have had a bit of a set back with a torn ACL and other knee issues.