Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bakers cyst? I have but do not know what it is?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline BBall12

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Bakers cyst? I have but do not know what it is?
« on: February 18, 2005, 02:23:29 AM »
Anyone know what a bakers cyst is.  MY mri said i have one thats 3 X.05 cm????

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • fin
Re: Bakers cyst? I have but do not know what it is?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 06:28:26 AM »
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/dictionary/bakers_cyst.html

Definition
A Baker's cyst is a tense fluid-filled swelling at the back of the knee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause
The fluid is secreted by the joint lining (synovium) and accumulates as a response to separate problem inside the knee, like osteoarthritis or a torn meniscus. As the fluid pressure builds up and is contained by the synovium, this joint lining eventually herniates out at an anatomical point of weakness at the back of the knee. This area at the back of the knee is called the 'popliteal space', so a Baker's cyst is also called a 'popliteal cyst'.

Management
The cyst will generally reduce if the underlying condition is managed. If it does get bigger and more tense it may rupture, and the fluid may leak down into the calf. This settles the cyst, but may cause pain and swelling in the calf, with bruising around the ankles ('crescent sign').

A cyst can be aspirated (the fluid removed with a syringe), but care must be taken not to introduce infection. In problematic cases the cyst sac can be removed surgically.