Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kaiser Permanente - Love them? Hate Them?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline rawsushi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Kaiser Permanente - Love them? Hate Them?
« on: February 17, 2005, 05:12:30 AM »

okay okay - so I have kaiser.  for my kids it's never been 'bad'

With that said, i'm starting to think of changning my opinion from good to mediocre.

Looking fwd to hearing more about your views.
Carpe Diem

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Kaiser Permanente - Love them? Hate Them?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 11:39:21 AM »
hey,

Wow, I can't believe you have to wait five months for surgery.  That seems insane for the US.  I live in Maryland and I have Kaiser and I have mixed feelings about them.  Sometimes I like them and sometimes I get so annoyed with them.  This is my first year with them.  As for the PCP's, I have not thought much of them at all (especially since you can never speak to a real person when you call their office).  As a matter of fact, I probably would have had my knee taken care of months ago if my PCP had any idea what she was doing.   As for OS, I have come across one who was a wacko and one that I really liked.  Fortunately, my OS was unable to perform the type of surgery that I need, so I got a referral out of they system.  I was quite happy about that.  But, I am definately trying to figure out how they work. At my last OS appointment I had no idea that I needed to get a new referral everytime I went, so it was a huge hassle just trying to get to speak to someone from Kaiser let alone get the referral over the phone.  However, I was determined that I was not leaving that office until I had a referral (which took about an hour to get).  And by then my I was the last patient of the day and my OS just wanted to get rid of me.   

Maybe you guys can help me with a few questions.  I spoke with the people from kaiser and was told that regarding the surgery, all I need to do is have them enter the referral into the system and then wait for it to get approved and make sure that it lands in the hands of my surgeons office before the surgery.  I was told that I didn't need to bring it to the hospital the day of surgery.  Is that right?  Also, I was told that I needed a referral for anything that I would come home from the hospital with.  I called the surgeons office and they told me that they work with Kaiser and that I didn't need to do that.  However, I did get them to send me a prescription to take to my PCP for the knee brace and crutches, but they did not give me one for the ice machine and pain cathedar.  They said I didn't need one for that?  Does that sound right?  I don't want to have to end up paying for anything out of my pocket.  Is there anything that I am forgetting that I have not been informed about?  Kaiser seems to be full of surprises and I don't want to miss anything!

LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline rawsushi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Kaiser Permanente - Love them? Hate Them?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 06:08:42 PM »
Fortunately for me, Kaiser has been an absolute godsend......Of course it has taken me 26 years (Lol....yep, I was even born there) to learn the ins and outs and just how to get things done the way I want them. 

Of course I am a but miffed at them at the moment cause they called me a couple of hours ago to cancel my ankle surgery that they just called me yesterday to schedule for March 24th.  The main issue I have with Kaiser right now is the HUGE waiting lists for surgery.....It is over a 5 month wait for my knee surgeon to get surgery scheduled.

Where are you at that you have Kaiser??

-Heather G.

I goto three different Kaisers - depending on need/service type.
  • Pleasanton, CA
  • Walnut Creek, CA
  • Martinez, CA

I've been told that it'll take me about 6-10 weeks waiting list
Carpe Diem

support