Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: help with my knee please  (Read 909 times)

Offline lilkat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
help with my knee please
« on: February 17, 2005, 01:13:46 AM »
hi all...

i am new to this... have a few problems with left knee...

i have had problems with my knee all of my life... starting with a growth when i was very small... which doctors said was fatty tissue and would go away on it own... which it did... but hung around for 2 years...

then i was diagnosed with osgood schlatters disease in my teens... but to me this seems to be a mis diagnosis... as the pain has not subsided since then... and i am now 22... i learnt to deal with the pain... until 5 months ago...

my knee caps seem very small in comparison with my knee itself... and i can also move my knee caps around quite a bit... actually can move them so they are almost on the side of my leg... is this normal??? i mean am i worrying for no reason about this... they also squeak... not quite a cick... but a definate squeaking... almost grinding sound...

i cam home from work (care assitant in a nursing home) wth very painful knees... i was walking very gingerly... i opted for my usual remedy... a warm bath and early night... the pain had gone away in my right knee... but not my left... so i went to see my gp... n she  diagnosed a sprain... told me to rest...

a week later i went back... my knee was swollen... and it was too painful to straighten... although i could straighten it... it hurts too much... the pain it on the front of my knee... around the boney part... but also at the back when i straighten it... she was unsure of a diagnosis... but told me just to rest... and sent me home with pain killers...

then 2 weeks later i went to see another doctor... whom told me to try and move my knee as much as possible... but also wrote a referal to see an orphopedic surgeon...

that was 2months ago... and i am still unsure of whether i am supposed to be moving or resting my knee... it hurts a lot... walking is very difficult and quite frankly it is getting me down... 5 months out of work is not much fun... the swelling no longer exists... and the knee now actually seems to be smaller than the right... but is very painful all of the time... to the extent that i am finding it difficult to sleep...

i would like some advice on what this may be... and also what i can do until my appointment with the orphopedic surgeon comes up...

thank you very much

kat