Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My Knee Problem  (Read 1120 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BigR

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Liked: 0
My Knee Problem
« on: February 16, 2005, 03:01:39 PM »
Hello all,

all my life i have had knee pain, but my doctor just told me it was growing pains.  but over the last year, the head of the fibia(smaller bone) feels like it pops out of place and the only way to get it back is to bend my knee to snap it back.  this is extremely painful.  i was wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this before.  i have an appointment with a knee surgon in a few weeks, but i just thought to ask here too.


Offline spartanpele

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 398
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: My Knee Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 04:08:12 PM »
How old are you?  Where is the knee pain?  Front, back, sides, inside the knee?  Is it a constant pain, only painful during activities?  Both knees or just one knee?  Can you give a little more information about the knee pain?


Offline BigR

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Liked: 0
Re: My Knee Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 07:22:32 PM »
im 21, there is usually constant pain in the right side, and underneath of the right knee, also the popping occurs in the right knee too

Offline Heather M.

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • Posts: 4007
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: My Knee Problem
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 10:23:34 PM »
Is the pain on the outside (lateral part) of the knee, or the inside (medial)?

Can you probe the area and palpate or feel anything under the skin--maybe something that feels like a rubberband or piece of something firm?  If so, does it hurt to press on that band of tissue?

Depending on whether this pain is on the lateral or medial part of the knee, you might want to look into plica syndrome or IT band syndrome (also known as ITBS or ITBFS which is ilio-tibial band friction syndrome).  These can both lead to feelings of popping and pressure that is relieved by moving the knee around.

If the pain is more the middle of the knee (or the joint line) or deep inside the knee where you have a difficult time pointing to it, you might want to look at meniscal problems as a potential culprit.

Also, watch your knee as you bend and straighten and try to determine if the popping is actually from the kneecap or patella catching--like it doesn't move at first when you start to bend, then snaps upward with a lot of force, creating a pop that is audible.  Kneecaps that chronically ride just outside of where they are supposed to are said to sublux; if you dislocate the whole joint, you'd likely be in the ER screaming with pain, but it's worth investigating subluxation as a source of your pain.  When someone has a kneecap that moves badly in its groove and subluxes, they are said to have any number of syndromes or problems--these are kind of captured in the term PFS or patello-femoral syndrome.  Read up on this here on the KG web page--go to the home page and follow the general information link for patient info.  Then, read through the links below:

This is a great overview of the knee, how it works, and what can go wrong with it:

Another fantastic overview of patellar issues, in very easily understood language:

For meniscus issues:

For chondral defects or a sensation of catching/popping/grinding of the kneecap:

Usually someone in this situation must find a doctor who specializes in knees--an orthopedic surgeon with a special interest in knee issues would be ideal.  You say your doctor blew you off--is this a GP or family doctor?  If so, then you must push to be seen by a specialist.  GP's don't have any particular training in knee issues, and the fact that your problems have continued means that you are outside of the GP's skill area.

So anyway, it's good that you are seeing a surgeon--make sure that he/she has a lot of experience with PFS or patellar issues.  Make sure that you read up and research these types of problems so that you can recognize if the doctor you are seeing is familiar with tough PFS cases or not.  A lot of generalist OS's will say to a patient that has PFS that there is nothing to be done--if you hear this, take the inevitable referral to PT and start doing the specialized exercises you will learn.  But continue to seek out a specialist in knee issues.  If you want to post the general area where you live, likely we can help you with some recommendations.

Good luck.


PS you didn't say if you are male or female--that can sometimes be important to know, as women are more likely than men (by a factor of over 2-1) to suffer from PFS due to the wider hips that womens' skeletons have by design to aid in childbearing.  Also, some OS's out there specialize in anterior knee pain in women--it's a sub-field.  However, it's important to note that men also have PFS, it's just less common.
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja