Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: what to do about my knee(s)?  (Read 958 times)

Offline suemo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
what to do about my knee(s)?
« on: February 16, 2005, 02:58:41 PM »
Hi, there,
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my knee and what to do about it?
I've walked long distance, hills, mountains, ridden bikes etc for the last 35 years (i'm now 49yrs old) so am quite fit. Have put on a bit of weight over last 2 years but still only 65 kilos. About 15 years ago I started to feel as if I was kneeling on bits of gravel whenever I knelt, but it didn't cause any problems other than me saying "ouch!" every so often! Both knees affected but right one worst. Then the problem went away.
For the last two or three years I have been having what seems to be a slowly worsening problem - again mainly right knee, but sometimes both. Pain in knee cap after much walking. If I sit on the floor and then get up I have to be careful how I do it as sometimes the knee can give way and not support me, sometimes it happens when using stairs. I no longer trust the knee to always support me. Pain is not present all the time - usually after I have used it a lot. Bending both knees produces awful grinding, grating noises and, more recently noises reminiscent of creaking elastic bands!
I saw my GP eighteen months ago who just referred me to a physio. He gave me a range of stretching exercises for calves, hamstrings etc which are great for flexibility, but do nothing for the knees.
I want to remain as active as I have always been, but fear my knees are "wearing out" - can anyone suggest what the problem is and what I can do? Will supplements help or are the knees too far gone for that?
thanks

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: what to do about my knee(s)?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 03:16:30 PM »
Hey !!

If you have been very active maybe your knees now tell you to slow down a bite.
Of course I think you can go on be active but maybe a bite less.
What did your GP say except for your referal to a phys ?
If your knees are wear down there are different things you can do to continue be active
like phys,braces and supplements, cortizone injections and other injections into the joint.
So try to find out what's wrong first before you go on.

Hugs Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline spartanpele

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: what to do about my knee(s)?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 04:03:31 PM »
I guess I'd recommend talking your doctor, physical therapist, or a trainer about your condition.  They will likely give you different exercises to improve your strength, range of motion, balance, etc, and that may help you somewhat. 

Given your age, and the sounds of your ailments, it almost sounds a bit like arthritis.  If thats the case, then you can possibly ease some pain in your legs by using a sports cream before your warm up, stretching properly during warmup, stretching after your workout, then icing down.  You should also look into taking an anti inflammatory (Ex: ibuprofen) and maybe taking supplements such as glucosomine/chondroitan that might help too.

The other possible cause could be a bone spur, chip, calcium deposit, or degeneration of the meniscus, etc.  It may be necessary to have your knee xrayed, an MRI, or scoped (arthoscopically) to find out if thats the case.

Once you find out exactly what the cause is, research additional  treatments on the web, and feel free to continue to share your information, situation with those of us here on the forum.

Best of luck...