Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Third ACL Tear In Three Years  (Read 2751 times)

Offline rugger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Third ACL Tear In Three Years
« on: February 15, 2005, 08:52:53 PM »
In 2002 I tore my left ACL playing rugby and soon had it repaired using an autograft (patellar tendon).  I rehabbed for 12 months and tore the same ACL again, two weeks after being cleared from therapy.  This time it was repaired using an allograft (cadaver tissue) and I rehabbed for 16 months.  I've been cleared since September '04, and two weeks ago I reinjured the same knee.  My doctor says it looks the the graft tore again, and I'm waiting for the MRI results to verify it.  Once I get the bad news, I'll be having another allograft to fix it again (third time!!!)  My question is, has anyone heard of someone tearing the same ACL three times within a three year period, and if so, can I ever expect to have a normal knee again?  Unfortunately I believe rugby is going to be a thing of the past, but I still want to run, ski, and play other sports without worrying about my bum knee.  Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: Third ACL Tear In Three Years
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 09:22:42 PM »
I personally, dont know anyone who has done that, but I have heard of people re-rupturing their new grafts many times. I'm sure that your knee will be "normal" to the extent you can use it for everyday activites again. I think it is a smart decision to stop playing rugby, but there is always great sports like running, swimming, kayaking etc..
all the best,
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 01:01:17 AM »
I think you need to see a specilized OS who deals with a high volume of ACL injuries.  With recurrent injuries you need to worry about the possibility of a posterolateral complex tear.  This injury has been shown to be present in a high number of recurrent ACL tears. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline rugger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 04:37:12 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  What exactly is a posterolateral complex tear??  That's a term that hasn't come up in any of my therapy or doctor's visits.

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 10:36:03 PM »
Hello, I know it as been a while since you posted this , but I am on the waiting list to have a patellar allograft, and read that you had it also and that you had to have it redone,where are you from?  I have an awesome Dr.  but he is out of San Diego CA.  How was your allograft? How long were you on a wiaitng list for the cadaver cartilege?  Did you have to stay in the hospital?  How long? Were you non weight bearing, or could you walk immediately?  Sorry to ask so many questions, but am just curious.  Thanks, LORI :D
LORI

Offline henri

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • goes here
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 07:27:12 PM »
Sorry to hear about your happening.
I read about one basketball player who has torn his acl for 4 times already.First was after the 4 months,as he pushed too fast and couldnt handel.Then 2 or 3 times after that.Anyway it was long time ago,so now he might just be doing the record for like it could be 7th graft for him?:P
Anyway, i tore my one, and had it repaired after 6 months.Then 1 month after the op i atleast thought i had tored it,because i had to make one famous jumping-on-my-bad-knee-to-save-the-camera-on-tri-pod-while-myself-falling-the-other-direction-down-the-hill:P(anyone has done it,right:P)
And i though that i had tored it,because it was only like 1 month after the op.At the moment it has been 3 and half months,and the doctor said,that my knee seemed to be stable, so i guess/hope that actually i didnt do nothing much to it.3 months i hyperextended my other knee and i am just wondering,weather i tored my other knees acl or not.I am hoping for the not part.So i might be quite close to your "reocord" for 3 times:P
Take care.
unhappy triad

Offline pauldfc

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 07:40:29 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee/4823440.stm

The football team i support had there best player out 3 times in 3 years because of ACL,i have included a link about it.
Mniscus removed form right knee
Miniscus removed from left knee
ACL ruptured left knee
ACL recon left knee

Back playing football, 5 times a week and arguably as fit as i was!!

Offline henri

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • goes here
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 07:45:52 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee/4823440.stm

The football team i support had there best player out 3 times in 3 years because of ACL,i have included a link about it.
yeah,i read about that thing also,but he is in draw with rugger,so my basketball guy still is in the lead:P
But i cant find the link at the moment.
unhappy triad

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 08:11:26 PM »
SO,OWWAS YOUR ALLOGRAFT SURGERIES?PAINFUL,OR PRETTY NORM,AS ALL OF YOU HAVE HAD PRIOR OPS?  WAS ANYONE KEPT IN THE HOSPITAL?  OR WERE YOU ALL DONE AS AN OUT-PATIENT?  I WAS TOLD I COULD BE THERE 3-4 DAYS, JUST DEPENDS ON THE PAIN LEVEL. ANY INFO ON THE PROCEDURE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.  THANKS ,  LORI ::)
LORI