Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: insurance cover  (Read 796 times)

Offline stuchil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
insurance cover
« on: February 15, 2005, 06:36:49 PM »
New here and just doing some research on what treatment is covered by insurance.
31 year old male used to lead a fairly active sporty social life. Not seen much of that the last three years.
Christmas 2001 I had my first arthoscopy to correct a tear in my meniscus, fortunately covered under my private insurance program. With intensive physio therapy was able within 9 months to recover and get fit enough to attempt a half marathon., only to tear it again. Different OS performed another repair in january 2003. Result was advice to give up on running and pick up different sport if i wnated to maintain fitness. Switched to cycling upon recovery, but never really recovered and started to deteriorate. OS then performed a further arthoscopy and initiated some micro-features in the top of the lower leg bones. (not sure if femur or thibia) August 2004. Have now come to conculsion with OS thta that operation was not success and we are discussing a further arthoscopy for assessment and referral for investigation into osteochrondral grafting.
This is where my problem comes, insurance company says they are unlikely to cover this as it is still research, not sure what th eoperation involves yet, will go for ocnsultation before making decision. but i'm interested as to how other people have found their insurance company dealing with this. Half hoping that the NHS may fund this work, goodness knows I give enough of my salary to Gordon brown for no benefit.

How do people find things?

Offline spartanpele

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: insurance cover
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 04:20:57 PM »
Can you give some specifics about your insurance situation?  What country are you in?  If in the US, what state?  What insurance carrier do you have?  Is this through your work or through your own contract? 

Offline stuchil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: insurance cover
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 06:37:38 PM »
I am in the UK. I have private medical insurance through BUPA. It through a BUPACARE scheme.