Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Orthoscopy and arthoscopy  (Read 17354 times)

Offline scottiedesigns

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Orthoscopy and arthoscopy
« on: February 15, 2005, 06:03:24 PM »
 :'(  Can someone tell me what the differneceof these two are.  Also I have a medial meniscus tear and he want to to orhtoscopy and not sure if I should get s a second opinion or not.  My doctor who originally treated me said not too.

Thanks

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Orthoscopy and arthoscopy
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 07:45:23 PM »
As far as I know, orthoscopic has more to do with movies and film and microscope or viewer eyepieces than surgery.  An orthoscopic view means there is a 1:1 ratio between the image and its size. 

The proper term for keyhole surgery is arthroscopic.  Arthro = joint and scopic = by scope.  So arthroscopy is a surgery done on a joint by way of a small scope or camera and tiny instruments.

I've seen many people refer to "orthoscopic surgery" when in reality they likely mean "arthroscopic surgery."  There is such a thing as an orthoscope, but it refers to telescopes and microscopes more than knees and other joints.  When I looked up 'orthoscopic' in google, I came up with a page that said "orthoscopic surgery" is one of dozens of persistent misspellings of arthroscopic surgery, so I think that answers your question.  http://www.relativeaccess.com/File/43822-Orthoscopic.Knee.Surgery.Html

So look up arthroscopic surgery--it is not an actual procedure, it merely indicates that the doctor will be looking inside your knee with an arthroscope.  It doesn't say what the doctor is going to do once in there.  In general, arthroscopic surgeries are less invasive than an open surgery, where a large incision is made.  Still, your recovery period depends on what is done once the doctor is inside the knee.  To say you are having arthroscopic surgery isn't giving us very much--you need to learn about the actual procedure that the doctor plans to do, then you can look it up here.

You said something about meniscal surgery--does the doctor want to repair or remove the torn bit?  In general, this is a fairly straightforward procedure.  Meniscal injuries rarely heal themselves--they don't have any blood supply.  So if the tear is small and in an area that won't heal, the recommendation is usually to remove the torn bit.  If the tear is large, and if it goes into an area with blood supply, the doctor may try to repair the tear with internal sutures.  This is much more complicated and has a prolonged recovery period.  Removal of the torn bit is a fairly short-term recovery, and most patients recover without complications.

As for whether you should get another opinion, the answer is that you are the only one who can know that.  In general, it's always a good idea to get another opinion when surgery is recommended.  However, a torn meniscus isn't exactly rocket science...it's fairly straightforward.  Still, any surgery has potential complications, so another opinion might help put your mind at ease.  Here is a great web page with further information on meniscal injuries:  http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/meniscus/overview.asp

Hope this information helps.

Heather

Heather
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 07:54:21 PM by Heather M. »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline scottiedesigns

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 08:08:40 PM »
He wants to look and see.  All I know is it the Inner Medial Miniscus.  He is not sure what he will have to do until he goes in.  Plus it happend Jan 4 and has not gotten any better yet.

Thanks
Lynne

Offline scottiedesigns

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 08:14:10 PM »
Heather  I forgot that he also said bruising on the bone.  Looks like several places.  and also bursitus.  I did it falling on cement stairs at home and I caught myself and somehow was turned around to face up and holding on to the railing.  I saved myself from hitting my head with the stuff I was carrying.  Thanks  for the help.  I know the brochure he gave me I swear says orthoscopy.  But now I have to go home and look,

Thanks Lynne