Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bike accident  (Read 1103 times)

Offline will - 27

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bike accident
« on: February 15, 2005, 03:26:20 PM »
Hello,

I recently (about 5 days ago) had a bike accident, resulting mainly in cuts and bruises, but the main impact seemed to focus on my left knee, which was cut on the outer side and has been quite swollen.  I've been to A&E and had an x-ray, and everything appeared fine, and I was advised to rest for about 7-10 days before commencing any physical activity.  Currently, the swelling is going down and I can put weight on the leg, but I cannot fully bend the knee without experiencing some pain - it gets to a certain point and it feels as though I am stretching something on the front of the kneecap.

Does this problem of bending seem commensurate with the injury?  Can taking a knock or having swollen or bruised knees effect the ability to bend it?  I know this seems somewhat minor, but I would really appreciate any help or comments.

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: Bike accident
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 03:43:32 PM »
I think you should just give yourself some more time to rest and don't push anything. If in a few weeks it doesn't feel better then go see a doctor.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Justme

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 06:59:23 PM »
Hi Will,

I was reading your post.  Your malidy sounded almost identical to my problem!  I had a bike accident as well and I now cannot bend the left knee without pain.  I can put weight on it fine, walk, but it hurts to walk up or down stairs or bend to put on my shoes. 

I have tenderness to the touch on the upper kneecap and slightly above that.  I've had rays and two docs poke around the area only to say rest it 30-60 days.  It's already been almost 60 days now and little progress.  The Lt knee now looks a little different from the right.

Maybe we will both find the answer soon.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 07:25:52 PM »
To answer your question, yes--swelling can affect the ability to bend.  If there is a lot of fluid and blood in there, something has happened.  An x-ray will only show bony injury--an MRI should show soft tissue damage.  I'd recommend that you go to an orthopedic surgeon (not your GP, but a knee surgeon).  However, there is not much the doctor can do until the swelling goes down...it's a catch 22.  Still, it's worthwhile trying to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon now, as you may experience delays before being able to get in. 

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline will - 27

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 09:31:59 PM »
Thanks for the help and advice, I suppose it's still early days and I should really give it a bit more time before I start stressing about the potential problems, which may or may not occur.

Thx again