Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: everyone has given up on me :( discouraging  (Read 6109 times)

Offline tripletoeloop

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • **dumb knee**
everyone has given up on me :( discouraging
« on: February 15, 2005, 12:38:34 AM »
I have already had a lot of doctors give up on me and now my physical thereapist is giving up on me. the one person i thought might have had a small chance of figuring things out gave up on me. This is really awful for me because I've been going through this for over a year with many doctors, PTs and everything. Now my doctor ("big ego") has given up and my PT doesnt have a clue either.

My knee gave out and what I think might have been subluxating today, which is really discouraging and now this. Its been so awful that I stay awake at night thinking and worrying and everything. I just want some answers!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!????

I AM IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP!!!

1/04 twist knee figure skating
4/04 See OS
5/04 MRI 1
6/04 Twist in PE
6/04 OS gives up on me
1/05 get knee pushed into counter at school
2/05 MRI 2 and OS giving up on me
2/05 waiting for new OS spelialist on knees
******all on right knee******

Offline abd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: everyone has given up on me :( discouraging
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 12:57:56 AM »
hi tripletoeloop!!! i dunno ur problem exactly!!! still divert ur mind by doing something  more interesting for you!!!  I Pray GOD for ur health!!! cheers Sorry i don've any more suggestions, coz i'm new

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 01:07:41 AM »
Hey Triple Toe.. I know what you are going through... everyone has pretty near given up on me.. and for me it's been 16 years.  :-\ I have a good PT who is trying very hard but he's on that last straw route now too, he has no idea what to do with me.  I'm back to the surgeon on Wednesday praying for some sort of help, atleast with my pain.  I hope you find somone who can help you. :( Just know we are all here to support you until you do... and when you do.
HUGS and hope
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 01:13:17 AM »
Hi Kate,

I agree, if your PT has given up look for another one, there are good PT's out there, but you have to look for them.  Do the exercise routine you have been given in the meantime, just to keep moving...
Talk to your GP about your problems and get another referral, look on the first page at Knee Surgeons and see if one of them is in your area...then get a referral to one of them. 
You just have to keep trying and never give up.

Sending hugs,

Shade

Offline tripletoeloop

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **dumb knee**
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 02:03:17 AM »
right now I'm seeing the best PT in the area and have already been through four of them. Now Dr. BigEgo is sending me to a roomotologist because he's determined that it is not orthpedic. I live in Pennsylvania USA so the roomotologist is going to refer me to another orthpedic at Hershey Medical Centre ( ive already seen roomotologist before). My Physical therapist says my knee maltracks could that be causing some of my problems? My leg is also crooked but dr. "IHaveABigEgoAndAmAlwaysCorrect" refused to agknowledge any of that.

To make matters worse a couple of the people I trust most are beginning to question my whole knee injury which is making me cry and everything because one of my teachers that I am VEERRRYYY close to is beginning to question it which is hard for me because I have been soooo close to her and trusted her and told her about everything with my knee and I feel like I have no one to talk to to and turn to to trust.

Ok ok im ranting. i'll stop now
4/04 See OS
5/04 MRI 1
6/04 Twist in PE
6/04 OS gives up on me

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 02:28:22 AM »
Hey,

Siorry to hear that you are having such a rough time.  I can't really give you any advice, but, I just wanted to say that it is totally ok to feel frustrated and discouraged.  I've come to the conclusion that folks who don't have to deal with knee pain just don't really get it when you talk about all the difficulties that go along with knee problems.  However, the people here understand and we are here for you to vent whenever you like.   Have you considered traveling to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore?  They were rated the top hospital in the U.S. last year and orthopedics was one of the sixteen speciality areas that rated them so highly.  if you are in Hershey PA, I don't think you would be too far from Baltimore.  Just a thought if you are looking for opinions outside of your home area.  I hope that you get some answers soon!!

Casey
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 02:29:39 AM »
  I live in PA and Im going through the same thing you are.  My doc gave up on my, my PT gave up on me.  But through this board I found a new doc and i go to see him wed, and Im hopeful he'll help.

where do you live in PA?  If your in the central PA area there is a big orthopedic place there, its called the orthopedic institute of Pennsylvania.  i don't know anything about it, but its come up in a lot of my searches, you coulod give them a call and see if they have someone who does just knees.

You can't give up, just keep researching and stick to your guns, someone WILL help you.

Take care, Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 02:51:35 AM »
Sometimes, people respond more favorable when emotions are kept in control, and the conversations are not dominated by the same old thing. Even though I am sure you are in pain, and need to be advised, the best suggestion is to be honest, stay in control, and go prepared to appointments to ask intelligent , appropriate questions. There is nothing that makes doctors not take pain seriously greater than to reply that your pain is always 25 when they ask about the 0-10 scale. Also, when people say "nothing helps, I already tried that" they think you aren't trying. It is almost a game, that you have to perceive the correct answers to move on.Lots of physcians perceive tears, and "poor misunderstood me"as  a selfimposed helplessness.I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS YOU, I am relating things to avoid. Try the rheumatologist, at least he might have some ideas about pain control I hope you find a physcian who can advise you and give you the answers to your questions. Try not to dwell on what could happen, and move forward.It is certainly frustrating, , I know. Ask friend and family for an Os they have had a positive relationship with, and take with you copies of all the studies already done. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 03:22:26 AM »
Hi, I can completely relate with you on the Dr.BigEgo issue.  My first OS was exactly like that.  He started alright, but after a second surgery he told me it was all in my head and basically told me to get lost because there was nothing wrong with my knee...yeah right!!  I got a referral to a different OS who i am currently seeing, and he is awesome.  Immediately diagnosed me with patellofemoral issues.  Keep fighting to get what is right for your knee!!  Relief has got to come(hopefully sooner than later!).  Remember that it is your knee, so keep fighting the good fight.  I agree with everyone else, if your PT is giving up try to find a different one(if possible), as it never hurts to get a pair of fresh eyes checking things out.  Good luck with everything and be sure to let us all know how it works out!!
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline Liz_-_UK

• Forum Faithful
  • Together is the bestest place to be
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 01:25:04 PM »
Hi Tripletoe!

You can always turn to us! I know how frustrating it is when experts give up on you but you do still have avenues to try.

Go see the rheumatologist - you never know what he might find or suggest. And if nothing else he can probably recommend a different OS.

Was PT helping? It may be that if it wasn't having any effect your PT really feels there is no point continuing at the moment but that doesn't mean they have given up.

Keep trying, and we'll be here to help.

Liz
xxx
03/95 - LR on left knee, 08/95 - LR on right knee, 03/98 - failed TTT left knee. Several scopes. 12/01 TTT and LR on left knee. Great for a while but now more problems.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 01:42:40 PM »
Yeah, I'd go see the Rheumatologist, even if you've already seen one. Sometimes another doctor can just see things in a different light.  As well another PT can too. ;) I know it's frustrating...Especially when you are in so much pain and feels like no one believes you.  :-\  So very frustrating...
I'm sure you'll find an answer to all your problems soon... just have to keep looking and keep trying. Sometimes even doctors and therapists get stumped.. it's hard to keep in mind that they are people, not super heros.  Sometimes they don't know what they can do to help us, and they get frustrated too.
Hang in there, I know it mus be hard, especially when you wanna skate!!!

HUGS and lots' of luck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 03:05:42 PM »
Another suggestion for when you see a doctor is not to complain just about the pain, but be specific in how it impacts your life. For example, it doesn't give them much information just to say it hurts all the time, or it hurts when I walk, or whatever. It is much better to say (for example) that after ten minutes, it hurts to bend my knee so I end up swinging it out to the side and leaning to the other side. Or instead of saying that it hurts to sit, say that you find that you have to keep your knee at a certain angle, then after ten minutes your have to straighten it. Or whatever.... These are just examples (of my problems!), but you get the idea. I find that doctors are much more interested in how the problem affects your "activities of daily living" than in your pain level.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 03:24:33 PM »
I suggest maybe you should have a scope done on your knee. Ask your OS about it, then they can specificly detremine what it wrong with your knee
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline tripletoeloop

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **dumb knee**
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 08:15:03 PM »
I suggest maybe you should have a scope done on your knee. Ask your OS about it, then they can specificly detremine what it wrong with your knee

I've wanted to for about six months now because nothing else has figured it out or helped or anything but Dr. BigEgo refused to and my mom isn't ready to try to get a doctor to do a scope
4/04 See OS
5/04 MRI 1
6/04 Twist in PE
6/04 OS gives up on me

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 05:23:17 PM »
I understand how your feel. I have had three dr's in the past few months all tell me something different. One can't find a problem, one thinks a little pt will help, and one thinks I need to stay off of it and have another surg.Who do you believe??

Don't give up on yourself. Someone here told me that one time. You know your body and we won't give up on you!!!LOL ;D