Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee "click" question  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Tbz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee "click" question
« on: February 14, 2005, 01:14:43 PM »
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to these forums, I hope this question has not been asked already (I did read the site and stuff).

I'm 24 years old, and about 5 years ago my left knee went into surgery for a torn ACL.  In that time things have been going well with the knee, but in both my left and right knees it's easy to "pop" them.  For example.  I get up in the morning, i generally can pop both knees, I get up from sitting for awhile - again I can pop both knees.  This was common for most years now and I didn't assume it was a problem.

Unfortunately, about 4 months ago or so - I'm not sure what changed that caused this, but my right knee gives me a "crack" type sound, like small pops when going down stairs, or bending at the knee.  This happens mostly on my right knee, which has had nothing wrong with it in the past and no injury that I can think of.

My questions are - what could be causing this 'pop' sound as I'm walking?  I'm a bit overweight, and my knees are the most stable (both of them) - could that be the issue, and just doing more knee focused exercises would fix it?  Should I do my best to stop "poping" my knees when I get up (sometimes moving to the side to side does it, sometimes just starting to walk).  Could it be a diet issue?  I don't eat meat, but I eat a wide array of veggies including tofu, and take vitamins sometimes. 

I appreciate any help someone can give here,

Thanks

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Knee "click" question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 01:20:52 PM »
Hey !!

Cracking sound in knees are very common and usually doesn't mean anything unless you haven't got pain or dislocate your knees or kneecaps. Most people who have this can live with it normally whole life. But if you feel that your knees
aren't stable or you start having pain, then it's time to go see a doc.

hugs Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Tbz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »
Thanks for the help, I very much appreciate it.

With focused exercises in strengthening my legs, will it be possible that these clicks will go away?  They generally aren't too big of a problem, just kinda annoying.

You also mentioned that if I feel weak in my knees then that's a problem.  I do only when doing exercises that are specific to the knees - which is kinda often lately.  With decreased weight + more exercising, this click should go away and my legs should be strengthened - especially around the knees?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Tbz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 01:28:41 PM »
bump!

Does anyone know if exercise will eliminate the clicks in my left knee, or should I drink more milk, take certain supplements, etc?

Thanks

support