Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Thankyou for good advice  (Read 640 times)

Offline ranger

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Thankyou for good advice
« on: February 14, 2005, 11:51:41 AM »
A resounding thank you to the people who suggested I sought a second opinion, and for the many other gems of advice on speaking to and working with an OS.

I saw a new OS today who actually explained to me what is going on in my knee, why it hurts and why it won't heal, and then had ideas to investigate how to help! For the first time in six months I actually feel like I know what's happening to me. A difference from the 'we've done all we can, there's no more surgery I can do, you need to learn to live with the pain/immobility' pov my other consultant had given me, along with little to no explanation past 'you're fine, pain is to be expected'. This consultant felt I had 'an accurate but incomplete' diagnosis, since he feels strongly that my kneecap is a good part of the problem, he wants to investigate for bone bruising and check the ligament instability, and for lesions in the articular cartilige which might have been smoothed over during surgery but will still be lesions. As he said, he might not be able to practically DO anything about this for me, but at least we'll know what's happening, have a better predictor of pain levels and time scales and any risk of further deterioration, and if the option then is to pass me onto a pain clinic, I go with a full diagnosis. BLESS OSs who speak clear laymens English.

He also felt that I was right to refuse the repeat cortisone shot I was offered when the first one didn't work, although that did not make me popular with my first OS or PT... it would never have occured to me to question the first shot, after all you trust these people, but with hind sight and research I realise, anaesthetising damage doesn't actually fix anything, it just makes it hurt less. And when you're not sure what's causing pain and instability, anaesthetising it probably wasn't a good idea. Because it was anaesthetised, I then did the flat out physio I was advised to and actually reinjured myself. Putting in a second cortisone shot to stop the pain of the reinjury.........? Probably not such a good idea either. I thank goodness I DID have the confidence to say no.

He did also give me some time frames- which while obviously only ball park figures do actually give some reassurance. He said it could take up to a full year to heal even if it's only irritation and recovering from the damage- that's another six months. But that takes away the constant fretting of week by week, is something still wrong, am I not trying hard enough - it's long term, I can handle that, I know it's ok that it's still painful. He also gave me some very good ammunition to use for work where my managers are freaking right, left and centre about me using crutches. (mostly one now, but still needing one). That the only question relelvant was did I feel safe, and if I didn't, then yes I should be using a stick. QED. After weeks of feeling as though I was a wimp for using them....

THANKYOU again, this board has been a serious reassurance and source of information over the last couple of weeks, it helps so much to hear other people's experiences.

Ranger 
Sept 04 fall 
Dec 04 arthroscopy, medial femoral coblation, ACL reportedly 'stretched';
Jan 05 cortisone;
Feb 05 new OS, MRI, ACL 75% tear, articular cartilige damage, MCL partial tear, femoral bone bruise, knee severely unstable.
MacIntosh ACL repair 8/4/05

support