Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: cartlage damage  (Read 3975 times)

Offline mary roy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
cartlage damage
« on: February 13, 2005, 06:38:31 PM »
my husband twisted his knee some time ago he only visited the doctor a few days ago he told him he thinks he needs surgery and has written to hospital my husband is 58 and worried he is alorry driver and wants to go back to work although he is in quite a lot of pain can anyone advise us what is best thing to do will surgery be the best option or is there any other help available  :-\

brattkids2

Re: cartlage damage
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 09:52:23 PM »
what kind of damage did the doctor say was in the knee??

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 10:28:21 PM »
If your dr has said that he thinks that your husband has torn his cartilage, I presume he is thinking that an orthopaedic surgeon will do an arthroscopy - keyhold surgery to either repair the meniscus - layterms is cartilage, or just to remove the piece that is torn.

If your husband has torn his meniscus and your OS believes that he cannot repair the meniscus, he is left only with taking out the piece of meniscus that is damaged.  He will only take out the bare minimum that is torn and will leave the rest in the knee.  If this is the case, your husband will probably be brought into husband as a day care patient.  The surgery will take approximately 30-40 minutes.  He will then be taken to the recovery room until the nurses feel he is okay to either go home, or return to a room.  Some patients stay overnight, but most patients these days will return home.  Your husband will not be allowed to drive for the next 24 to 48 hours or until the anaesthetic is out of his body.  Most people will return back to work after 1 week if their work is sedentary, maybe a bit longer if it is hard labourous work.

Your husband, or yourself should ask the dr what he thinks is best, but if he is going to do a repair, this will take longer.  I've never had a repair done in all the 14 surgeries that I have had, so I am unable to go into the details.  I do, however, believe that your husband will either be non weight bearing or partial weight bearing for a time and will have to rely on crutches.

Questions to ask your OS are:

What is the cartilage damage?  Is it hyaline articular cartilage, ie, the shiny substance that covers the bones? or meniscus damage?  If meniscus damage, which side, medial (inner) or lateral (outer).  What kind of tear is it?  Is it a partial tear, a full thickness tear, a bucket handle, horizontal or lateral tear?  Will it be able to repair?  How long is surgery?  Will he be a daycare/inpatient? What is the recovery process?

Your husband should be fully advised what your dr has planned.  Never, never go into surgery blind.  Make sure that you get all the answers and make sure the dr details it all out to you very carefully.  Arthroscopic surgery is minor, however, no surgery is minor when you are having to have an anaesthetic.

I hope that I have been able to help you.  If you want to know more, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards ... Lizzie xx
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 10:29:05 PM »
if its twisting i would assume it is a meniscus tear

Offline mary roy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 10:34:37 AM »
i dont know but if it helps there is a hard lump at the back of the knee

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »
That's probably a bakers cyst.

But I must say it sounds like a meniscus tear if the doctor said cartilage and it was from a twisting injury it happenned

Offline mary roy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 09:11:21 PM »
i am a bit confused but i will let you know once he has seen the surgeon

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 10:35:45 PM »
Hi Mary Roy,
I'ts pretty easy to get confused when you are talking to knee patients that have gone through this stuff for extended periods of time.

It sounds like it's a meniscus tear (which I think everyone else suggested too), the meniscus are the cusions of cartilage that sit between the long leg bone (the femur) and the lower leg bones (tibia and fibula).  If this gets' torn it can cuase pain, catching and swelling as well. The hard lump on the back of your husbands knee is likely a bakers cyst which is caused by an escape of fluid from the knee joint, this commonly occurs with a meniscus injury.  The meniscus has a difficult time repairing itself as it has very little blood supply of it's own.  Hopefully your husband will be seen soon and he can have this repaired and get back to his job. ;) My Dad has  a meniscus tear removed a few years ago and he was playing hockey within a week.  So hopefully the same will happen for your husband.
Lot's of luck and hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?