Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 12 Weeks post op and nearly back to normal!  (Read 717 times)

Offline sensaay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
12 Weeks post op and nearly back to normal!
« on: February 12, 2005, 01:26:45 PM »
Hello, this is my first post , and just want to share with you my experience. I broke my kneecap into 4 bits in Nov'04 had an operation to wire it together and left hospital the next day with just an elastoplast covering the operation cut. my leg was very swollen, never knew you could swell up like that!! it was very painful for the first 3/4 weeks. i was on crutches and told not to put any weight on my right leg for 6weeks. this was very had becasue i am usually such an active person, swimming and cycling (which is what i was doing when i was involved in an accident) during these weeks i had to do stretching excersises to keep my leg as flexible as possible. i was getting annoyed with my self because i didnt see much improvemnet in my leg for a long time and could see that by the end of the six weeks my leg was about 1/3 the size of the otherone because all the muscle had wasted away. had a few checkup with the OS and x-ray confirmed the kneecap was healing well. it was around 8/9 weeks post -op before  i could feel myself improving. since then the improvemnet has gone at a considerable rate! i have been able to walk around theflat without crutches for a few weeks but now (11 weeks post op) i can walk miles with the crutches, and without a limp! and i have full range of motion and can do straight leg lifts, these were by far the hardest and most painful to do. still my right leg is no where near as muscular as my left leg, but i am sure it will come back in time with lots of excersise!  it just goes to show that it is indeed a waiting game for most of the part when it comes to recovering from broken knees. Best wishes to all the other people recovering from knee ailments! listen to your OS and you can't go wrong

sensaay

ps. i have had no physio therapy.

shadehawk

Re: 12 Weeks post op and nearly back to normal!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 02:30:31 PM »
Sensaay,

Welcome to the board.  Glad that you have had such a successfull recovery from your accident.  Hard work does pay off - it is so good to hear stories with good outcomes. 

Thanks for sharing your story and good luck to you.

Hugs,  ;)

Shade

support