Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Oh My God What An Earth Have I Done to My Right Knee  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
Oh My God What An Earth Have I Done to My Right Knee
« on: February 11, 2005, 02:55:35 AM »
Hey everyone

I've been sitting down for quite some time at my laptop, as well as watching TV and I thought that it was time for me to get up and have a small walk around my place.  I find that sitting down for too long can really make me stiff and hurt.  I get up and have a few minutes walk around and then I can sit down again for a short period of time before I get up and stretch my legs.  This is what I have to do to avoid getting too stiff and being in too much pain, although at times, I just want to sit down and never have to get up.

Well .... I got up and my right knee just didn't feel right as though the patella was dropping down and catching when I walk around.  It really felt weird and it also felt as though there was a gap between my knee - told you it felt weird.  I then took a human break and as I was going to sit down, I bent my knees and went to sit down when my knee wouldn't flex, by this time I was nearly sitting down and then I sat down on the toilet seat and then I heard this enormous crack/snap whatever it was it was loud, like thunder.  The pain just came from nowhere and I just felt sick to my stomach.  the pain is in my knee and all around it, more so in between the femur and the tibia, but on both sides, lateral and medial as well as in the centre.  I don't know what I have done, but I cannot put any weight through my knee.  The pain is too much when I tried to either stand or walk.  I daren't walk on it.  I am too frightened to do anything.  I wondered if anyone else has experienced this.  I have had to take the only pain meds that I am allowed with my Fentanyl patches and that is 1G Paracetemol.  I am going to call the ER and see what they suggest I do.  I am certainly not wanting to go to ER at this time - the time now in UK is 02:51 am and I can't drive and I do not take taxis, so the only other solution is to cal my parents, which I don't want to as it is in the early hours of the morning and they are not going to want to get up and out to take me to the ER.  I know that they will, but I am not going to ask them.  The only other alternative is to call for the paramedics, which I don't think I should do this either.  I am not sick enough, although the pain I am in is making me want to faint and I am finding it hard to breathe through the pain.  What should i do?  I think that I will call the ER and explain everything to them and see what theyr h ave to say.  I'm going to have to say good night and see you guys in the morning.

With lots of love ... Lizzie xxx

PS - I don't believe my luck - what is happening to me?
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • E30 Zone
Re: Oh My Gd What An Earth Have I Done to My Right Knee
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 07:55:08 AM »
Well I didn't get to the ER.  I decided that they wouldn't be able to help me.  They have never in the past.  In fact, they just make me worse.  I get soooooo stressed out watching their inefficiency and incapacity at doing anything right for me.  They make you limp to one area so that you can hand in your form, only for them to tell you to go and wait back where you started.  They prioritise you as being the least important as you haven't broken anything.  I might be experiencing worse pain than a break, but that is just another thing and they aren't trained sufficiently to understand what bilateral OA in both knees is like, let alone hypermobility syndrome and the worse one of all - Fibromyalgia (Chronic Pain and Fatigue Syndrome).

I ended up calling my medical insurance helpline and spoke to a pharmacist and he recommended that I take an NSAID.  I took a couple, but the pain was still unbearable.  I have been awake all night, but made myself not sit around and use my laptop.  My right knee has swollen up, but then I think that my left one has too.  I think it might be a side effect of the Baclofen.

I'm going to see whether or not I can get an emergency appointment at my GP's surgery.

Again, may I please ask for your good luck.  I really need it.  I can't believe my bad luck at the mo'

With love to everyone.  ... Lizzie xxx
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Oh My God What An Earth Have I Done to My Right Knee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 02:02:24 PM »
Hey Lizzie !!

I'm terribly sorry for what happened to you. I have nop idea what's causing this, I wish though I had. You do right thing in getting in touch with your ordinary doc instead of ER, even though your severe pain. I also know they aren't good at helping people like us when we get more trouble. They haven't the expertises as we need.
I hope you can get a quick appoinment with your GP to try find a solution for this new problems coming up for you. Sorrry I haven't written, write you back later.
Good luck !!

Hugs Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 02:15:39 PM »
Lizzie,

Sorry to hear that this has happened, OMG it just never ends does it.  I have no idea what this could mean but I sure would be phoning my OS's office and let them know that something else has happened to you.  Sure wish your OS could get you right in and try to help you will all this pain.  This constant waiting just seems to lead to more knee damage.......

When you sit at the computer try and put a soft-top foot stool under your desk so you can get your feet up when you are sitting - this might relieve some of the stress.  Hope that you are feeling a little better now....and that you finally got some needed sleep.

Sending hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline Dave G

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 02:34:22 PM »
Lizzie i would suggest that as you now cant put any weight on it you need to see a consultant asap or at least get it looked at. the potential for damage is high and by leaving it you may actually be making things worse. pain is there for a reason cos somethings not right.

A lot of people feel that they are not sick enough to call the paramedics. thats what they are there for to provide the service to those of us who have problems if you cant stand the pain call them they will at the least take you to A&E and get an xray done to check its ok. Id rather spend a few hours in A&E than all night at home worrying.
08 Jan 2005 Accident Patella Fracture 6 Pieces
09 Jan 2005 Operation (2x 1.5mm Wires 1x2mm Wire & Tension Band)
11 Jan 2005 Xrays  & Rebandaged Splited with Cricket Bat Splint.
13 Jan 2005 Allowed Home
20 Jan 2005 Followup & Stitches Removal.
09 Feb Slight Pain occasionally
Next appt 11 Feb

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 03:57:05 PM »
Lizzie, I'm so sorry you're in so much pain.  You have been through too much, and it doesn't stop!! 

You need to see your GP or OS ASAP!  You need to get in today!!!  If you can'tsee them, ask them what you should do.  Personally if I was in your situation I would have called my GP's answering service and they would have contacted him, and he (or who ever is covering that night) would call and tell me what to do.  I don't know if this if possible in the UK, But here in the US that in common practice.  We pay the Dr's so much and its part of being a Dr to be on call some nights for situations like yours.

All I can do is pray that you find relief, and send my best wishes and BIG HUGs.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Dave G

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 04:10:22 PM »
You may find that in the UK a lot of GP surgeries are choosing to opt out of Primary Care out of hours the PCT (primary car trust) in many of these areas is now providing the relief services.

The advise remains the same. If it can wait till normal opening hours eg cold headache etc then please dont stretch the servcies and wait till normal hours. however emergiecies like passing out chest problems excessive pain, passing blood n all that junk should be called in. Most of the out of hours centres put you through a triage nurse who will assess your symtoms before dispatching a doctor. they will advise on the correct course of action which may be for a gp to visit or for a trip to A&E.

Call your doctors surgery first if it is out of hours the have an answerphone message which will give you the numbers of the appropriate out of hour services.

Remember tho folks doctors and medical staff are human like us and cant be everywhere at one time. some have over 15000 patients on their lists and with ever increasing bureacracy its no wonder the NHS in the UK is struggling to cope. I suppose we should be glad that we do have free medical provision. I would hate to be in a situation that I might have a problem and not be able to see a doctor or consultant because of the cost.

08 Jan 2005 Accident Patella Fracture 6 Pieces
09 Jan 2005 Operation (2x 1.5mm Wires 1x2mm Wire & Tension Band)
11 Jan 2005 Xrays  & Rebandaged Splited with Cricket Bat Splint.
13 Jan 2005 Allowed Home
20 Jan 2005 Followup & Stitches Removal.
09 Feb Slight Pain occasionally
Next appt 11 Feb

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 05:11:02 PM »
Goodness Lizzie, sure hope you have gotten in to see a doctor & gotten some much needed relief.  I can't imagine what is going on inside that knee.  Keep us posted, sending hugs your way. 

~Stefanie
89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 07:42:16 PM »
I've just been in contact with NHS Direct and they have told me to call for the paramedics.  They are not happy for me to just have a doctors' visit.  They have insisted that I go to A&E to have some investigations quickly.

I'm just waiting for the paramedics.  They called me to say that they don't have any available vehicles and is there anyway that I can get to the hospital on my own steam.  My parents have just gone away for the week and there is no one that I can call upon.  My friends have moved out of the area and so have the rest of my family.  I'm just going to have to wait.

I'm dying of pain and my head feels like it is going to explode.  I hope that they come soon and can give me some strong medications to ease my pain.  I will post when I get back with what they find out.

Love to everyone ... Lizzie xxx
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 07:52:34 PM »
Hey Lizzie !!

I'm thinking of you and hope you get help right now to ease your pain. You really deserve a break Lizzie.
Hugs to you in millions !!

Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lasly

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 08:10:14 PM »
OH I do hpoe all is well lizzie, eeeek whot a bummer to have all that pain. it sounds serious.  i wish you all the best.take care. lasly.
JULY  2003  right knee. key hole, LR.
DEC 2003,   Left knee, key hole,LR.
MARCH 2004,LR Left knee, key hole.and open, with 7 stitches, nasty infection.also found to have heart problems.
APRIL 5th, open LR and Mediel Reffing,9 staples
April 19th Angiogram, (heart).
TTT 28th Aug 2208, left knee,

Offline Womble4eva

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Not as bouncy as I used to be!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 08:15:57 PM »
Lizzie,
Hope it is all ok and they can help u out with the pain at A&E. Hugs ((((((Lizzie)))))) Take care and Im thinking of u!!
Knees can be a right pain sometimes!!

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 05:33:09 AM »
Lizzie,

I hope that you were able to get some good help and pain relief at A&E! You have been through so much lately-you really don't deserve to have to deal with this newest problem your knee is giving you! Know that I'm thinking of you and sending you lots and lots of big (((HUGS)))!

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 11:51:14 AM »
Lizzzie
I've bee thinking about you and hope you have gotten rid of the pain by now.  Take care andwhen you are able let us know how you are.

L O T S   of   H U G S   and   E N C O U R A G E M E N T coming your way ! ! ! !
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

shadehawk

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 11:58:28 AM »
Lizzie,

Where are you???  We are all hoping that you got some help for the pain!!!  Hopefully, now you will be able to get through to your OS that this pain is getting out of control and you need his help...sooner.....not later.  Did you get to the A&E and did they help you any??

Sending you hugs,  ;)       

Shade