Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: post therapy visit  (Read 1595 times)

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
post therapy visit
« on: December 13, 2002, 06:02:39 AM »
 does anyone get to the point with pain during therapy where your eyes well up and you want to hit your therapst? and after are you feeling completely drain, shaking and wondering if you went backwards instead of forwards? flexion is the focus and he tries to bend the knee beyond its range. i have to tell him to stop and i understand that to get to the other side of the mountain you first go up, but therapy and torture are two different things. just needed to vent.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline LA2047

• Regular Poster
  • Why is the 3rd watch hand called the second hand?
Re: post therapy visit
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 04:36:43 PM »
Welcome to the world of sanctioned torture!  I think most of us would agree that  physical therapy was nearly as bad as the injury that put us there.  I don't know what it is about the human body that makes it resist recovery, but in all the time I was in PT I never saw one person who had and an easy time.  I heard lots of screams, groans, and saw more than a few teary eyes.  And that was just me!   :D  I know it hurts soooo badly, but if you don't force it to go a little further each time, you'll never return to normal function.

One thing that can make PT worse is if you're in there when you still have stitches (or staples in my case).  Once they're removed, PT isn't quite as bad.

Unfortunately, however, there's no way to avoid it.  You NEED the therapy to be able to return to normal use and unfortunately, it's gonna hurt.  One thing that helped me a little in PT was to lightly stretch the leg and take pain meds prior to going.  But DO go!  I guarantee you it'll be for the best in the long run.

Hang in there!

K.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2002, 04:38:56 PM by LA2047 »
Complete PCL & LCL rupture, partial MCL rupture, December 2001 (car meets motorcycle - man meets freeway).  LCL reco 3/02 (donor graft), PCL reco 5/02 (donor graft).  Motorcycle, R.I.P.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 12:06:19 AM »
I had quite aggressive PT after both my LR and TTT, sometimes so bad tears came into my eyes. She forced me every time to bent a little further, and further, and further... Had to take a pain killer and ice before and after PT. But now I am glad I had this aggressive PT. Talked to my OS and he said I needed to it in order to get full ROM back asap. I am glad I had it, had full ROM 5weeks post-op and surgery was succesfull. If you're not sure, talk to your OS about it. But PT is soo important. I work on ortho and have seen a lot of  patients who say there operation failed when in reality they didn't do any type of exercise!!! That's no failure to me...

I would talk to your OS and take a pain meds before every session. After it elevate and ice, and keep doing ROM exercices at home. In the end you'll be glad you had them. But torture isn't pleasant.

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2002, 07:48:05 AM »
don't get me wrong, i am very aressive with therapy and at home i do more then i possibly should,  but my os will not prescribe pain meds, but did get me a tens/nmes machine which does help minimally. i ice, i take advil, i do anything i can to keep pain from being so intense. my goal is to be normal again and do all the activities i once did. in my younger days i played minor league hockey and i have a strong will to get back on skates again. not tomorrow but at some point. i will not give in to pain, but know once i get strength and flexion back i will have further surgery or so says os. your encouragement is greatly appreciated and this forum restored alot of faith.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline Pat_A.E.

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2002, 11:59:26 PM »
My husband, who is in the medical field, calls PT's "physical terrorists!"  I'm sorry to hear your OS won't prescribe pain meds.  Although they are not the answer to total pain control they at least take the edge off.    My spouse advised me to take the meds (Darvicet) about 1 hour before therapy.  Simulation and ice immediately following therapy has helped and I look forward to that.
WARNING: Do not try this at home!
Last week I was using a stationary bike when the tension changed and my knee sustained more pressure then it should have.  I heard a crack and pop and suffered the worst pain ever to the point of holding on not to faint.  It was so severe I couldn't even move for a few minutes, my ears were ringing and I was nauseated. Anyway, about 15 min. later the pain was gone, there was no swelling or discoloration.  Turns out I had broken up scar tissue (adhesions).  It was an accident but my ROM is so much improved and pain so much less I now look at it as a blessing.  
Keep up the work and demand pain relief from your OS.  
9/25/02  shattered right patella,10/11/02 surgical repair .1/31/03 hardware removed. Currentley dealing with tendenosis. Spring 2004 almost 100% back!!!!