Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: collagen plus glucosamine supplements  (Read 33510 times)

Offline sheilauk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
collagen plus glucosamine supplements
« on: February 09, 2005, 11:23:56 AM »
 :)  Has anyone used this product that i have seen advertised .  I have had all the leaflets sent to me but would like some feedback please.  Thank you.

Offline bepsilon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: collagen plus glucosamine supplements
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 10:55:33 PM »
Hi Sheila

Me again.  Glucosamine has definate, clinically proven benefits.  You should take at least 1000 grammes per day - there are no side effects.

Bernard

PS  You haven't replied to my recent email..  Iam still suffering.  Its now the fifth week after my arthroscopy and the pain is getting worse!!!

Offline sheilauk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 01:24:52 PM »
I have replied.  Have you got it??  I hope so cos it was darn long! ???

Sheila

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 01:00:37 PM »
Hi Bernard, there absolutely can be side effect from Glucosamine/Condroitin.  It contains sulfa and for those of us who are allergic to sulfa, this is a particularly bad "supplement" to take.  I took it thinking because it's all natural and our bodies produce it anyway, that I'd be OK.  I wasn't.

Please be careful about taking supplements.  Most of them do not go through the rigorous testing that our medications do and therefore the labels do not warn us of potential problems.

Thanks!

Kim
1982 - R patella tendon transversal
1983 - L patella tendon transversal
2003 - R TTT and patella medial ligament   reconstruction
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 03:01:51 AM »
My surgeon actually recommended that I take glucosamine/chondroitin. My physicians assistant said that she takes the double strength pills twice a day. 

Casey  :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline AndrewHealth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 03:54:39 PM »
:)  Has anyone used this product that i have seen advertised .  I have had all the leaflets sent to me but would like some feedback please.  Thank you.

My Mother (age 52) was taking a glucosamine pill which is now banned.  She needed to find an alternative so she started to take the USANA brand Procosa II which has 500 mg of glucosamine per pill - two pills a day.  She says it's making a difference so I would recommend it.

If you want more info, send me an email

Andrew McLellan
[email protected]

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 04:19:56 PM »
Andrew,

Can you please tell us what glucosamine pill has been banned and why?  Thanks.

LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline AndrewHealth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 07:39:29 PM »
Andrew,

Can you please tell us what glucosamine pill has been banned and why?  Thanks.

My appologies Casey

Celebrex is a popular anthritis drug belonging to the COX-2 family of pharmaceuticals. A recent clinical study indicated that Celebrex may be linked to higher incidences of life-threatening cardiovascular problems, including heart attack and stroke.  A competing drug, Vioxx, already has been withdrawn from the market after numerous clinical studies found similar problems.

I'm not positive if this was in USA or just Canada as I'm from Canada and don't get out much.

Best health,
Andrew

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 11:05:24 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info.  I was aware of Vioxx being taken off the market, I just didn't know that it was a glucosamine pill.   Thanks.

LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline kgolfs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 12:34:16 AM »
My OS also recommended that I take glucosomine/chondroitin...  I took it a couple of years ago, it never seemed to make a difference, but I am taking it again just in case it helps.. ???

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 02:14:42 AM »
Vioxx is not in the glucosamine family.  Vioxx and Celebrex are both in the aspirin family, near relatives to our good friends ibuprofen and naproxen.

Glucosamine/chondroitin is said to have qualities that help stabilize cartilage, and MSM is supposed to have anti-inflamatory qualities.  I take all 3 after lots of reading, including a recommendation from my doctor.  I have never noticed any improvement as a result of these supplements, but I figure if all it's doing is helping my knee not break anymore, I'll take it.  Other than people with allergies and sensitivities, most doctors seem to view these as a "it can't hurt, and it might help" supplement.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline AndrewHealth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 08:22:16 PM »
Yes sorry.. it wasn't a glucosamine product that was banned, but mom found a good alternative.  I found some more information on the Procosa II (Glucosamine supplement) from USANA.

http://www.usana.com/bin/en_procosa.pdf

The price is $26.66 if not on autoship and $23.99 if you're on autoship (USD)

I hope this helps!

Andrew
[email protected]

Offline shnun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 08:31:02 AM »
Hi Bernard, there absolutely can be side effect from Glucosamine/Condroitin.  It contains sulfa and for those of us who are allergic to sulfa, this is a particularly bad "supplement" to take.  I took it thinking because it's all natural and our bodies produce it anyway, that I'd be OK.  I wasn't.

Please be careful about taking supplements.  Most of them do not go through the rigorous testing that our medications do and therefore the labels do not warn us of potential problems.

Thanks!

Kim

This is a misconception; I just posted about this on another sulfa comment and wanted to enter it here as well.  I did a net search for glucosamine sulfate and the word sulfa and got validation that the sulfate is a naturally occuring element (sulfur) whereas the sulfa drugs are a different substance entirely. The name is confusing to many people.  The only people who need to choose sulfate carefully are those with shellfish allergies.

Offline BellaVega

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 08:19:42 PM »
Is glucosamine only available as a prescription or is it a supplement that you can get over the counter at the pharmacy? My knees tend to get sore from exercising too much and I'm wondering if glucosamine would help? What is the benefit of glucosamine as far as one's knees go?
[Spam link removed by KNEEguru]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
I recently read and heard that taking glucosamine can be bad for your health and has many side affects and can even affect the heart. Glucosamiine should only be available on prescription as it can do more harm then good and not been enough research about the side affects of glucosamine.

I googled the dangers of glucosamine and found a good article about the side affects it can have.

http://side-effects.owndoc.com/glucosamine-side-effects.html

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 04:50:04 PM »
I am still reluctant to take to take Glucosamine as you get a mixed reaction from people that have taken it, some swear by it and say that it really benefits their knee problems while others say it makes no difference to their knee joints and can have long term side effects if taken on a regular basis.

Would it be sensible for me to take Glucosamine despite the side effects it can bring as regular long distance runner would I benefit from taking natural supplements.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support