Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: IS THIS NORMAL?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline MsWalker1973

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
IS THIS NORMAL?
« on: February 08, 2005, 06:10:46 PM »
Hello all :).... I had 2 menisis tears in my left knee i had a tear on both sides of the left knee... My Dr went in an took out the tear on both sides of my left knee that was on Jan 27.... they are have me do home pt not really comfy with that but in the past few days i have had a burnning feeling behind my knee.. is that normal... also my dr said recovery time for this type surgry is 2 weeks but i hardly can walk up an down my steps without my knee feeling like its going to gout on me or walking for long amounts of time ......... HELP :'(

Tanya

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: IS THIS NORMAL?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 06:45:03 PM »
Hey Tanya !!

This can be normal cause everyone has different healing times and 27th of january is not so long ago. You need more time on this knee. Continue excercise but ice your knee and elevate also. Are you swollen ? Are you using any antiinflammatory meds ?

hugs Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline MsWalker1973

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 09:30:52 PM »
my dr has not said anything about a anti inflamitoyr......the only thing has told me to do was my pt an that the normal go back to work time in 2 weeks, i hurt myself at work so this is workers comp the only i think they care about is getting me back to work...... i didnt know i needed to ice my knee down.. ??? it is still swollen an i do i have moderat pain..... my biggest peoblem would be trying to get comfy at bed time an steps an the burnning feeling behing my knee..  go back to t he dr Fri... so what are some thing i should ask my dr...

thanks Tanaya

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 06:44:14 AM »
Hey !!

Tell him about the swelling and the burning feeling and that you're not comfy at bedtime and going in stairs. You can use pillows under your knee to lay your knee in a good position.
It's good if you can elevate and ice several times a day, especially after excercises.
If you have big problems with swelling asking for antiinflammatory meds would be great.

Hugs Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline MsWalker1973

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 12:39:56 AM »
Nettan

thanks for the help .. I been doing the pillows.. they help somewhat.. will also tell him about the swelling... hopefully he will listen ....

Love an Blessings
Tanya ;)

Offline Cid

• Regular Poster
  • Dancing with your heart makes the body sing.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 04:01:37 AM »
I had a menisus repair, plica removal and tendon repair on Jan 4th and my Ortho just released me for stairs this week.  I am very unstable on stairs and it feels really weird like my leg is asleep.  I know it is just becuse the quad is still weak.  I do occasionally have the burning feeling if I overdo or walk too much.  Do ask your Ortho and I wouldn't let them not give me the proper care because of it being a workers comp injury.  Be assertive with the Dr and make sure you get the best recovery possible.  Ice and elevation will help with the swelling and that is very important for your recovery.  Try to elevate it at work if you can.  I had them take the back and arms off of a desk chair for me at work and it really helps and is comfortable.  I can also adjust the height which makes it easy to get under my desk. 

I have never had any luck with antiinflamatories they just make me lose weight and upset my stomach, but we all react to drugs in a different way. Good luck with your recovery.

Cid
Cid
11 surgeries to date 5 on RT, 2 LR, TTT, VMO advancement & chrondroplasty with drilling and a few meinscal repairs
6 on LFT, LR, 2 VMO adv. & OCP with meinscal repairs

Offline tanna76

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 06:29:32 AM »
Hi Tanya, I'm Tanya as well!!
I would definately be using ice and elevation like Nettan and Cid said. Definately. Cant believe the doc wouldnt have you using ice!
Also get some anti inflammatories as well... even ibuprofen can help.
I have a torn MCL, ACL and meniscus, no surgery yet but lots of problems with extension and flexion. 6 weeks after my injury my movement is coming back but I've had a burning pain behind my knee as well, and I've just recently found out that it is my hamstring, which has tightened up due to the fact i have been unable to stretch it out for so long. Apparently it can also tighten up as a pain response when you are bending the knee, or going up stairs etc...  So the theory was that the pain was due to my badly neglected hammy suddenly getting all this exercise all of a sudden now that i am able to bend and straighten my leg again. The recommendation was to ease up on the exercises just a little bit, do some very gentle hammy stretches (very gentle!) and get someone to give me a gentle massage of the hamstring area every day or two. I have to say... this has worked a treat!! I especially like the massage bit. It immeadiately made the back of my knee and thigh feel looser and more flexible, and the pain did not come back. Maybe you could try this too and see how you go? I would take it very easy on the stairs too.
Anyway, best of luck. Let us know how you go.

Offline MsWalker1973

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 01:10:23 AM »
Ty you all for the advice i went back to the Dr on Feb11, he told me that swelling was because of the lack of muscle in my leg..... he also gave me some antienflamitories.. I told him about not being able to get comfy at night he gave me a sleeping pill ..... he also gave me an rx to go to pt.. i start Monday.. I still got a catch in the back of my knee.. its like i get so far then i get a sharp pain... so i think i may have to go for a second opinion.. hmmm this like a never ending story....

Love an Blessings

support