Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Two knees at once? Total knee replacement surgery needed on both knees.  (Read 6946 times)

Offline marilyn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I am due to have two total knee replacements done. The question I have is should I do them one at a time (which I prefer) or both at once? If anyone out there has had both knees replaced at once, please let me know how you did with 1/getting around after 2/handling pain/would you do it again both at once/ should I wait and do one at a time? Thanks, Marilyn ???

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Two knees at once? Total knee replacement surgery needed on both knees.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 06:11:45 AM »
In my opinion, I would definitely  only have  one done at a time.  There are actually very few physcians who still do both at the same time. Mine tried to talk me into it, saying that it would only require one recovery. IN my case ,the tkr on my left side (done by itself) broke, and had I had the other done at the time I don't know how I would have walked even. THE pain from a tkr can be incapactitating, and the rehab is long and hard. At least with one unoperated knee, it is able to get around. I did have both knees scoped at the same time, and I was the only one of 5 patients, who did not end up back in the hospital after going home. HOWEVER<I could not get up and down, and spent 60 minutes trying to get off the sofa, and could barely bear the pain to go to the bathroom. You have to decide for yourself, BUT I WOULD NOT DO TWO AT ONE TIME< Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Run Forest, Run !!!

• Forum Faithful
  • Gotta' Love My Knee !!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 09:57:14 AM »
Hi,

Definately have only one at a time done.
You will be needing a good or decent leg to stand on, so to speak, during your recovery.
Just imagine having both legs incapacitated and not being able to get up, shower, go to the bathroom, etc.  Not to mention the pain...And you will learn from the first experience how to deal better with the second operation !!!  And, a double TKR is a LONG operation.  You want to be under as LEAST as possible. 

One at a time is the best way !!!

All the best,

Craig
2000 Left ACL w/ Hamstring Autograft-Skiing
(failure)
2002 Left ACL REVISION w/ Allograft Ligament.
2003 Left ACL Screws Removed
2005 Left HTO w/ Allograft Opening Wedge, Hip Autograft, Internal Fixation ... Yeah !!!

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 11:51:04 AM »

Hi Marilyn,

Wow, I can not imagine getting two knees done at the same time, for any procedure.   It might be simpler for the doctor, but do not think it would be for you.  I think it would be really tough rehab.

Whatever you decide, keep us posted on how you are doing.

Good luck,  ;)

Shade

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 02:08:44 PM »
I need two knees; I would go for one operation if I could.  I have talked to several people in the area who had both done at the same time, they all said they would do it again.

All the patients went to rehab for a week or so, then home Pt for a week then out patient PT and all were doing fine.

The last lady I talked to had very bad knees and could hardly get around on her 2 pre op knee.  She said within the first week post op she got to where she could get around better than before.

It's a really hard decision.  If you prefer one at a time, don't let your Dr talk you out of that decision.

GOOD LUCK 

HUGGS
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 02:28:14 PM »
Hi,
In the past I have always requested and had both knees done at the same time, I have had 4 bi-lateral arthroscopies (both knees together) with various debriding, mirocfracture and lateral releases done, and for this I wouldn't do it any other way.
I have had ACI 13 weeks ago, and asked about both knees, but because of the 6 weeks non-weight bearing, it was impossible - and I'm glad, as it was far more invasive and the rehab is long and slow. And you do need a relatively 'good' knee to stand on.
If this doesn't work for me, I will have to have two TKR, I would enquire about both knees together, but if its anything like the ACI post op, then I would definately have only one done at a time. Though, I would rather only be put under once and have it hard for the first few weeks, and know that I won't have to go through it again (maybe, not a certainty).
Like everyone has said its how you feel, how you would cope, make your own decision and stick to it, don't let anyone change your mind, as you are the one who has to deal with the post op period and its hard enough as it is with one leg, let alone two!
Best of luck in your decison making, it is a hard one.
Jules.
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline marilyn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 02:18:29 AM »
Thanks for answering. I am so impressed with all the intelligent replies i have received and please know they ARE appreciated!

My doctor's argument with me is : "The pain level is the same, the anxiety level is the same, you are only in the hospital one time, the rehab is the same time...and I will not do one knee on you it is either both knees or nothing."

Well! I live in a city where I am fortunate enough to have choice so I have chosen another doctor who I will see next month. I am 68 and have fairly good health but have had problems with surgery of different types before (going under, blood clots, blockage, etc.) so I prefer to be out as short a time as necessary, also, my husband, who will be my nurse, has two knees worse than mine and I do not want to make it any harder on him than it is going to be anyway.

I will keep you informed and keep you all in my prayers, thanks so much, Marilyn

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 04:05:17 AM »
Hi Marilyn

I am 13 days post op from a LTKR and I have thought many times how people do it bilaterally. My hats off to those who do it. It is definately a decision only you can make and would need the care of a rehab center for 2 knees .  I really relied on my good leg to get me moving around. Don't let any doc tell you it's either all or nothing at all. I personally would do it one at a time from what I have experienced so far.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 06:47:02 AM »
Mariltyn, I just read your last post, and the red flag really went up when you wrote that the physcian said two or none. THAT is manipulating and controlling, and has no good medical support. I definitely would take advantage of the fact that you DO HAVE A CHOICE and see another physcian who puts your best interests first, and not his own. ALSO, it is not widely known, but when both knees are done at the same time, they are also done by two different surgeons most of the time. MY biggest scare was that , having had a MRSA joint infection in the past, I would be at higher risk for it recurring, and I KNEW I could not bear the pain of that, and if I happened to get MRSA and I had both joints replaced at the same time, I could have ended up with the infection in both joints, and had to have the prosthesis removed from both knees, and then would have NO KNEES!!!!!!!!! My physcian used the same crap about only one recovery, pain one time, etc. and when I brought up my fears about the MRSA, he told me that usaually they use the same tray for both sides, even though 2 drs are doing the procedures but in my case he would have a new tray for each side to prevent that from happening. I just looked at him and said that MRSA would be systemic and two trays would do NOTHING  to prevent having both joints contaminated with it at the same time. THE thought of that was definitely enough to tell him NO Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline marilyn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 07:48:55 PM »
Teresa, I am learning somethiing new from this board every day. I had not even thought of infection from one knee to the other. A freind of mind did tell me she had two doctors working on her at the same time. She said the pain was so bad she could not cry hard enough for weeks to make up for it. I am definitely sticking to my plan of one knee at a time. Thanks for writing,  marilyn

Offline rawsushi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Patient Age is oh so important to some of us
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 06:58:28 PM »
Hey - great thread.

Question ... what are the patient ages of those having surgery. Actually, exact age is not important.... but age RANGE (above 65, 50-65, below 50) would be greatly appreciated... as I'm 35 (36 in Mar 05) and recognize that my treatment cycle may/will be very different .... Some of the sites refer to me as the patient that "outlives" my prosthesis.... It s no wonder that type of info is sparsely accessed.

Anyway, considering bilatTKR @ same time.
Carpe Diem

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 07:41:29 PM »
I had a LTKR 3 weeks ago. My age is 48.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline ellies

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 08:48:34 PM »
Hello Marilyn,
I also need both my knees replaced but my surgeon has refused to do both at the same time as he says the recovery afterwards is much too traumatic. I am 47 years old & in good health otherwise.  I am having the left done in 3 weeks & will see how long I can hold out for the 2nd. Having had 2 big operations on both knees last year & the year before, you DEFINATELY need a "better" knee to get around with crutches on.  So, my advice is, do them one at a time.
Good luck with whatever decision you make.  It is also important to feel confident in what your surgeon says & does.  I will be thinking of you.
Ellen
1998 scope R knee
2002 scope R knee, bone graft R knee
2003 scope R knee
2003 scope L knee
2004 scope L knee
2004 ACI L knee
2004 2 x scopes L knee
2005 TKR L knee

support