Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: really sick & surgery on v-day  (Read 3643 times)

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • Behind the Jersey
really sick & surgery on v-day
« on: February 05, 2005, 02:51:42 PM »
I'm scheduled to have an exploratory surgery with Dr. Noyes on Valentine's Day. Problem is, I came down with the respiratory flu. My symptoms: headache, sinus congestion, achey muscles, ears and eyes hurt, sore throat, bad cough, hoarse voice, hot/cold flashes, and i woke up this morning (Saturday) with a 103.2 fever. I realize I have 9 days til surgery, but this is supposed to last 3-4 days and then I'll still have a bad cough.

I've never been sick before surgery so I have a question: Dr. Noyes requires that patients have a physical before their surgery. My physical is Monday, a week from surgery. I'm still going to be pretty sick by then, so will they postpone the surgery? Or is it just if you're sick a couple days before- and is a cough just enough to do that?

Thanks, I've been waiting awhile for this surgery b/c I scheduled it during my mid-winter break and I really don't wanna miss school for the operation.

Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
Re: really sick & surgery on v-day
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 03:00:29 PM »
I would bet on them postponing the surgery...

Bummer. Hope it works out.

Goose
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline Run Forest, Run !!!

• Forum Faithful
  • Gotta' Love My Knee !!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 03:20:15 PM »
Hey,

I just had a High Tibial Osteotomy and I was sick about 8 days before surgery.
I went to my Primary Physician and got all the drugs I needed to kick it out ASAP.
I did a Z-Pack, Advair, Nasocort and the symptoms were pretty much gone by the time of the physical.
Just be honest with them, tell them what you are taking, and they may let you in.
They did for me and they asked me so many times about my illness on the day of the operation.
Even as I was being rolled into the OR, I still got quizzed....
I will be up to the Anestheseologist to make the determination for you...
You want all to go well, Ok ???
So, more importantly, be honest with yourself...
As far as a 103 fever ????...I would have gone to the doctor right away ....

Make a honest decision with yourself....You don't want to CODE on the table while they are operating on you, and it is very possible that could happen, if you are not safe about this !!!

Craig ...  :P
2000 Left ACL w/ Hamstring Autograft-Skiing
(failure)
2002 Left ACL REVISION w/ Allograft Ligament.
2003 Left ACL Screws Removed
2005 Left HTO w/ Allograft Opening Wedge, Hip Autograft, Internal Fixation ... Yeah !!!

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
    • Behind the Jersey
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 03:39:47 PM »
Well, my mom is an ex-nurse and with the respiratory flu, there is no medication for it. I've been taking Tyenol to try and bump the temperature down but that's pretty much all you can do. And I'm not going to push for the surgery if I'm still not feeling well...It's just so frustrating- I haven't been sick in like forever, and of course I have to get the respiratory flu right before surgery...
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
    • Behind the Jersey
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 01:06:05 AM »
Unless I miraculously stop coughing and stop having sinus congestion by tomorrow, I have to postpone my surgery. The frustrating thing about it is I won't even have surgery now until sometime in March. I've been waiting so long for this surgery and we had perfect timing. And my knee hurts so bad.

It's hard for me because I just turned 18 and none of my friends understand how incredibly crushing it is for me that it's going to get put off. Each day this goes on, its another day that I can't enjoy my senior year because of all the pain. I'm on vicodin half the time.

Sorry but like my school advisor said, "You have the worst luck out of any person I've ever met in my life."

Christy
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 06:57:15 AM »
YES, there are meds now for viral illnesses, BUT to be as effective as possible, they need to be started within 24 hours of the start of the illness. I am not sure they actually shorten the length of time the virus sticks around, as most things just run their course. A fever is definitely going to stop your surgery. I am sorry, as I sometimes think that when surgeries are scheduled so far in advance there is always the  possiblity something will go wrong. Hope you are better, and things work out. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline kdhfrank

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 07:49:23 PM »
cristy

teresa is right...there are anivirals that can be taken for the flu but it is best to start them within 48 hours of onset of symptoms. they supposedly shorten the duration. if you have the flu that is sending tons of kids into the office that i work at you might be happy to hear that it is lasting about 5 to 6 days. and yes, these kids tested positive for influenza. i saw one girl on a friday and saw her again one week later when she came along for her brother's appointment. she was all better! hope this will be your case too!

kim
L pat. dislocation, 1977;  run over by a car, L pat. dislocat., multiple burns & fxs, 1981; L knee scope, 8/03; L knee MUA, 10/03; L knee MUA & patellar tendon rupt; 6/22/04 lysis, debride, pat. baja!

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
    • Behind the Jersey
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 10:05:24 PM »
i was originally told that even if i had a lil cough that surgery would be postponed. but we called dr. noye's asst to tell them friday morning that i still had a cough- and donna said that as long as my lungs are clear i'm ok.

well, i saw my doctor and my lungs are clear! so as of now, i'm still having surgery. and hopefully the anesthesiologist will agree.

thanks guys for replying!

Christy
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

shadehawk

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 10:31:29 PM »
Christy,

That is good news for you, hope everything goes well on Feb. 14th.  Let us know how everything goes.

Sending good vibes your way..................

Hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 02:19:30 PM »
Christy,

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and that you won't have to have your surgery postponed.  Best of luck to you tomorrow with your surgery!!!

Casey
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
    • Behind the Jersey
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 10:29:51 PM »
Hey everyone!

I just got home from Cinci where I had an exploratory scope with Dr. Noyes on V-Day. We expected to find scar tissue or nothing, and he wanted to look around to assess my ACL and medial meniscus.

What I learned:

- My ACL reconstruction was not done like it's supposed too. Normal ACL reconstructions (or at least how Dr. Noyes prefers them) are angled, mine is perfectly straight. So I will have to have it revised.

- After my last scope, my past surgeon said I had 10% of my posterior horn left and the rest of my medial meniscus so I was not a candidate for a meniscus transplant. Dr. Noyes went in and said there was 0% of my entire medial meniscus. It was completely gone and I already have early damage (not good since I just turned 18). So I was pretty pissed off that my last surgeon lied to me and the one before that botched my ACL reconstruction.

- I have some sublaxation of the kneecap- 50%.

- My LCL is quite lax, but not enough so to require surgery. yet.

- My lateral meniscus gives a little? I was a bit confused on that, but since it wasn't a big concern we didn't discuss it much.

- He didn't examine the back of the knee b/c that would require him to open me up back there and he wants to just wait until the meniscus transplant, but he believes I have a ball of scar tissue and/or nerve damage back there.

So pretty much I have the knee of like a really old person at the age of 18. I go back to see him in 4 weeks after physical therapy and then we'll plan an ACL revision/meniscus transplant. How long has it taken people to convince insurance to cover the operation?

xoxo
Christy
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 12:25:26 AM by allstardiva2005 »
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 10:47:29 PM »
Glad to hear that you are back home.  I hope everything went well!!

Casey
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline Womble4eva

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Not as bouncy as I used to be!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 10:53:50 PM »
Glad 2 hear u r home and that ur surgery could go ahead!!
Take care!!
Knees can be a right pain sometimes!!

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 12:31:36 AM »
Christy, Sorry you didn't have the best of news, but at least there are things to do!  I hope that you'll have the planned surgery and do just fine.

L O T S   of   H U G S   and   E N C O U R A G E M E N T coming your way ! ! ! !
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

support