Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Am I a freak case???  (Read 847 times)

ib1981

Am I a freak case???
« on: February 02, 2005, 12:03:27 AM »
I had a posterior lateral corner repair 2 weeks ago as part of a two stage operation - hamstring donation was from the same leg this time and the next phase will be to repair a second torn ligament.

I was confident that I would make a full recovery and was looking forward to getting back into my football...until I read some of the horror stories on here. 

I was warned by the consultant to expect a lot of pain and to be laid low for a while - I have not experienced ANY pain whatsoever and was up and walking - initially with crutches, however after a week I no longer felt the need for these.

I have to constantly wear a brace, limiting knee movement between 10 and 60 degrees - everything just seems to hae gone TOO well and as nearly every post I've read mentions serious discomfort or pain I'm starting to get paranoid...it's not that I wish I was in pain, just that I can't understand why!!!

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Am I a freak case???
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 12:32:32 AM »
Hey,

I'm a little over 3 years out from a posterolateral reconstruction, ,and I'm totally happy with that aspect of the surgery.  I had very aggressive rehab and was released back to sports at exactly 18 months which is the absolute minimal time to be released.  My posterolateral reconstruction even stood up to a very traumatic ACL retear. 

However, based on what you are allowed to do, your OS is setting you up for trouble.  It is imperiative to have and keep full extension early on, I couldn't leave the hospital until my knee was at zero.  There is no reason to be that restrictive of the ROM.  My flexion was limited to 110 for the first 6 weeks, and I then had full flexion after that.  There are actually very few OSs in the US who can properly reconstruct a posterolateral corner.  There are those that think they can, and impose silly ROM restrictions so it takes longer for the patient to realize that the reconstruction was done poorly.  I'm not insulting your surgeon by any means, but I've seen it happen enough times I'm rather cynical when surgeons attempt something as complicated as a PLCR with extensive experiance.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

ib1981

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 09:07:59 AM »
Thanks - I'm so much more confident about it now(!)  :-[

I'm really not up on this but was advised that the knee needs to be kept bent in order for the 1st operation to be a success and then kept straight/fully extended after the 2nd operation

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 01:30:30 PM »
I have done extensive research on the rehab following a PLCR and every protocol I have seen by the top three surgeons for reconstruction of the PLC allow full extension.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.