Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: chrondomalacia?  (Read 916 times)

Offline tanna76

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
chrondomalacia?
« on: February 01, 2005, 11:45:13 PM »
Hi folks. In amongst all the knee damage i was diagnosed with, my MRI also showed patella chrondomalacia, which i didnt really pay that much attention to at the time as i thought a torn ACL, MCL and medial meniscus was enough. Now i've decided i better at least find out a bit more about it... What causes it? What can i do to help it? I was under the impression that it was an overuse injury rather than an acute injury like the other damage i have? I'm wondering if it is responsible for the sharp shooting pain I'm getting directly across the middle of my patella when doing quad squeezes. I dont feel like it's pain from the ligaments or meniscus. Can anyone tell me about chrondomalacia?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: chrondomalacia?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 12:05:07 AM »
Chondromalacia is a softening of the articular cartilage on the back of the patella, there are grades of chondromalacia that start with just some softening  of the cartilage all the way up to pieces of cartilage pealing off... exposing bone.  There are lot's of reasons why this can happen, from tramatic injury to overuse and maltracking.  Ice is good at helping with the pain and anti inflammatorie medications are also helpful. Do a google search and you will find lot's of info you might also want to search the kneeguru site. Goodluck and hope you find the answers you need.
here are a few links to get you started

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/926052680.html

http://www.orthoseek.com/articles/chondromp.html

http://www.jointhealing.com/pages/knee/chondromalacia.html

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline tanna76

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 12:16:43 AM »
Thanks Linds, that was a quick reply!! I will check out those sites, thanks heaps. I have been using lots of ice and anti- inflammatories for the ligament injury, but this is just a really sharp pain that shoots across my patella when i straighten my leg and squeeze my quad. As soon as i let the squeeze go the pain goes away. Apparently i need to do these exercises because my quad has turned to mush but it is so painful, and i'm not sure if i am doing more damage.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 08:07:57 PM »
I'd be sure to talk to your dr. about the word chondromalacia.  It has different meanings in different contexts and to different physicians.  The definition Linds provided covers damage to articular cartilage, but I've seen it used in lots of ways while doing my own research.

Good luck.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

support