Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OS appt tomorrow....really dumb question...  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Run262

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
OS appt tomorrow....really dumb question...
« on: February 01, 2005, 06:19:17 PM »
I can't help but to ask this question. I have my OS appt. tomorrow as I think I've torn my medial meniscus and I'm torn about how to present myself, i.e., how much access does he need to my knee? Meaning, should I wear shorts or can I wear some cotton Nike running pants and just pull the leg of the pants up over my knee (these pants are loose enough to do so)? See, thing is....well, I've got a little fat on my thighs and I'm real embarrased by it, becuase prior to my injury I was really fit - I ran marathons and everything but I've lost some conditioning and muscle and I hate the way my leg looks. I'll wear shorts if I have to, but I don't want to wear pants and then have them ask me to take them off and get in a gown so he can get to my knee - that would be even worse.

I know. I know. This is a really stupid concern but it's one I have. Any suggestions?

In the end it doesn't matter really I guess - I need him to look at my knee and he's gonna do what he's gonna do. I'll probably end up wearing shorts to be safe, even though it's cold outside.

Thanks for any replies.
2/04 - Diagnostic scope suspected meniscus tear - normal healthy joint found. L knee
4/04 - cortisone shot L knee - two weeks later, the portal scar tissue during re-hab broke up! All is good!
8/11 - Lateral meniscus radial tear - scope - L knee

shadehawk

Re: OS appt tomorrow....really dumb question...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:22:44 PM »
Just slip on a pair of shorts under your slacks.  That is what I do and it works out okay.  Most people with knee problems have the same concerns as you do.  I certainly have added weight since my knees have gotten bad as I just am so inactive.  I was also a very active individual until this all happened.  Don't worry, you are not alone in this.

PS:  there are no stupid questions... ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 06:24:55 PM by Shadehawk »

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 06:31:33 PM »
Shadehawk is right shorts under your pants are good.  If I have an appointment after work, I try to wear pants that I can get out of easily and then slip on a pair of shorts when they take me into the exam room.

Good luck

Hugs ;D
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 06:42:21 PM »
My OS always requests that knee patients wear shorts. If you forget to bring them, they give you "paper" ones which they can then throw away. Believe me, there are a lot of us who don't like to go out in public in shorts! But wearing the shorts under your pants or changing while you are there is a good solution. Just remember that we are always more critical of ourselves than others are of us. You doctor isn't going to care what you look like in shorts! 

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 06:44:35 PM »
I try to carry some shorts with me to the dr. I,too, have gained weight since my injury. I don't like my legs either,but I feel if they don't like it, don't look!! :P

Don't worry about what someone thinks about your legs. You are a work in progress!! You'll be fab when you are done!! ;D

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 06:54:35 PM »
shorts under sweatpants for me in the winter. My knees ache in the cold anyway so I try to keep them warm. I have also used the windsuit pants with the zippers, ;they worked fine for my OS. Good luck tomorrow.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Run262

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 08:29:37 PM »
Thanks everyone for understanding my concerns. I just hate the fact that the last time I saw my OS I was a fit and firm runner, now not so much. Looks like I'll be doing the shorts under the pants routine!

2/04 - Diagnostic scope suspected meniscus tear - normal healthy joint found. L knee
4/04 - cortisone shot L knee - two weeks later, the portal scar tissue during re-hab broke up! All is good!
8/11 - Lateral meniscus radial tear - scope - L knee

Offline brandy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 02:46:54 AM »
I also used to be in shape even after having two children. Put on weight after knee problems started. The mistake I made was letting depression take over about slight weight gain, then because of inactivity and depression really piled on the pounds, which made my knee hurt, which made it even harder to lose weight. Looking back now if I hadn't reacted so poorly to a few pounds gained I wouldn't still be struggling with my weight. Don't sweat the small gain, but don't just let it go either.
   Oh, and how is this for silly frustrations? I want to know if I am ever gonna be able to wear heels again :'(. I am only 5"3" and all these boot cut pants that are so flattering are too long for me now cause my heels were the only way I could get away with them. Used to wear high boots or heels then had to quit. Too much stress on my knees.
Numerous dislocations, both knees
 tilted patellas
 LR and MR done on LK 2/22/05

support