Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can I play with a torn ACL (not yet reconstructed)  (Read 1065 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Can I play with a torn ACL (not yet reconstructed)
« on: January 31, 2005, 11:18:16 PM »
Hi everyone, the doctors say there is a 90% chance I tore my ACL but are still a bit unsure. I was wondering what your opinions were on still playing soccer (competitive) without an ACL. Is there any risk that I would do further damage to my knee? My knee gives out alot..even just walk and sometimes locks, but is that more likely to happen during physical activity? Thanks,
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Can I play with a torn ACL (not yet reconstructed)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 12:24:09 AM »
I wouldn't play a demanding sport like soccer with a knee that is unstable and buckles when you are just walking.  People with ACL deficient knees are at risk of a meniscal tear--and if you get a severe or large meniscal tear, it can set in motion a series of events that make an ACL recon look like a walk in the park.

Further, I'm guessing that you play in school sports?  I can't imagine that a good coach would let you play on an unstable knee--essentially, playing injured.  Considering what can happen, it's just not worth it.  That's my opinion.  I overused my knee in high school, and if I could take it back, I would....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline diceman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 07:20:59 PM »
I kept running on my torn meniscus and the pain only got worse.  Take it easy for a while.  Dont rush into surgery, but it looks like it is what you need.  The more damage you do to the meniscus the less chance they have of being alble to repair it.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 12:36:52 AM »
With an asymptomatic ACL tear, under certain conditions and with a signed waiver I would allow an athlete to contine to play.  In your circumstances, the risks far outweigh any potential benefit.  Put your time and energy into strengthing your knee in anticipation for surgery.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.