Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3 months later TTO, a new knee!  (Read 7436 times)

Offline coyote

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
    • www.cardsblossom.com
3 months later TTO, a new knee!
« on: January 31, 2005, 08:40:05 PM »
I know it has only been 3 months, but I just came back for the OS and  he was right. He told me it would take 3 months until I felt comfortable getting around. - and I do, finally.   I have a history of poor knee alignment, and arthritis in both knees. My knees turn outward. The surgery was to move my patella over to the inside and to lift it up to reduce the stress on on the knee cap ( and the deteriorating cartliedge).   For exercise I can cycle , and walk, but not on a treadmill. I can't use the eliptical at the gym either.  The knee feels tight at times where the bone graft was done and he said I would have that feeling for 3-6 more months. Every  day I need to do lots of stretches as well as the strength building exercises.  I asked him why I feel the need to stretch so much and he said your leg is using muscles  in  ways it has not for decades... It is like learning to walk again, but the progress has been fast.
I can walk up and down stairs , but my PT said I am "Cheating" when I showed him - I kind of flop down, so I am still working on  getting the  knee mechanics right.
The knee is smooth and no longer creaky or jumping out of place.  And the pain is gone. Amazing. I hope my  story can inspire those of you who may have this surgery ahead of you. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do,( the first  10 weeks) but it is worth it.

Good luck, Cheryl

:)
In full recovery!, (with a touch of arthritis during climate changes...)

Cheryl

Osgood Slaughter RK  12 yrs old
Lateral release LK 25 yrs old followed by 5 years in knee heaven
years of pain, naprosin and falls
moderate osteoarthirtis, subluxation
TTO , LK,  11/08/04

shadehawk

Re: 3 months later TTO, a new knee!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 08:16:07 PM »
Cheryl, I have read your post and you certainly have been doing so well.  It is sooooo good also to hear a positive attitude.  Good for you!!!

Keep up the good work and I am so glad that your pain is all gone - that is just fantastic.

Hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 01:29:47 AM »
That's so awesome! It gives me something positive to think about in making my decision to have a TTT.
~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline coyote

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • www.cardsblossom.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 11:15:16 PM »
Well I am 5 months out of surgery  and feeling pretty good. The tightness feeling still comes and goes. It goes away if I exercise regularly. (cycle and strength work). If I skip working out for a few days it tightens up. The scar is slowly diminishing and I feel like I could go hiking or skiing again, but I know I still need to take it easy.The surgery was so worth it when I think about the pain and sudden falls I had to endure last year.  Good luck to those of you who are contemplating this surgery. It is a tough rehab, but so worth it.

Cheryl

TTO , LK,  11/08/04

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 11:54:24 PM »
Cheryl,

It is nice to hear that things are still going so well since your surgery.  You have had a long rehab, but sounds like you do not regret having the surgery. 

Congratulations on all your hard work.

Hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline reinjury queen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 04:27:49 AM »
Hey there,
I was glad to hear you were having sucess.  I am 25 and have horrible knees.  Same symptons and problems as you all my life.  Im on my fourth surgery (coming up in 2 wks) and very nervous, I have been reading up on the TTT and it seems more intense and painful than my previous lateral releases.  Any advice, I have to do something I'm too young to be this miserable on a daily basis.

Thanks

Offline coyote

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • www.cardsblossom.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 06:10:16 PM »
Hi everyone!

Almost 7 months out and at times I forget that I had surgery less than a year ago. I was so looking forward to that feeling and it just snook up on me.  I was teaching a friend's daughter how to dive in our pool last weekend and doing back dives as well as pikes -  amazing to think I was putting all that pressure on my leg without pain and feeling stable.  Last summer Ii could not even kick in my pool due to the pain. Yes, the TTT leg is still a little weaker but it is stable and has held up when I have tested it.  I often don't even think about going down stairs anymore as a problem - unless the barometer is acting up. Speaking of arthritis... The "good" knee took a real beating during recovery, but has since been feeling really good - so much so that I may be able to not  have to  get the TTT on that knee as the bad leg is holding it's own weight.

To reinjury queen.. A lateral release fixes the symptom and not the cause, and they often are short term or can create further problems. They do help, but if you have a bone/ patella mal alignment the TTT is the permanent resolution to that problem. It is a grueling process, but these boards can be a  great  resource for you.  I did have years of relief following my LR, but I still had pain and falls - it is hard to describe how solid my knee feels now. Something I never remember feeling before. 
I sure wish I had done this surgery earlier on in my life, but I did not know about it. And I lucked out when a great OS moved into my area and this is his specialty.  Good look with your surgery!  :D :D

Cheryl

TTO , LK,  11/08/04

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 11:32:23 AM »
Cheryl,

It is so nice to hear an update.  You are back doing the things you like, that is just so great & to have a stable painfree leg - that is just awesome........

Hope that you have a very enjoyable summer.

Congratulations,

Shade

« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 11:36:22 AM by Shade »

Offline coyote

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • www.cardsblossom.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:25:01 AM »
Well ,its not only  3 months, but will be 4 years next month.  I am so so thankful that I went ahead and did this surgery and followed up religiously on my rehab and did not cheat.  I have been skiing, hiking  and even a 4 day  backpacking trip this summer.

I still get occasional pains when the weather turns and once in a while a tweak or two but the constant pain and wobbles are all  gone and it is still so hard when I realize all those years I suffered. I also still cannot kneel at all on that knee and every one in a while I will and that shoots pain like crazy.

If you are reading this contemplating going ahead with the surgery,,,, do it!!!

Cheryl

TTO , LK,  11/08/04