Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Question about Anesthesia  (Read 675 times)

Offline Dramarama21

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Question about Anesthesia
« on: January 30, 2005, 09:13:35 PM »
I partially tore my acl in October of 2003 playing soccer and I opted not to have surgery, as my knee didn't really bother me very much and because I was worried about getting major surgery. :-\  I have researched a lot and I want to have my surgery done arthoscopically and I have heard of surgeries being done with local anesthesia, where they just numb the knee, and I would much rather have that. Has anyone ever had this done or does anyone have any input on this? Thanks so much!
Partial ACL tear Oct. 2003 (Playing soccer)
ACL Reconstruction Aug 18th, 2005

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Question about Anesthesia
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 10:38:56 PM »
Hey!  I have had three surgeries on my L knee and all have started out as a local anaesthetic.  The problem with local is that it is really hard to infiltrate all the nooks and crannies in the knee, and you will still have feeling in the knee.  It is not really pain, but more of a firm pressure and some discomfort.  My first surgery i ended up being sedated, second one same as the first, but the third op i started local and ended up with general.  I don't regret doing the local anaesthetic as there is not any major nausea afterwards(at least it will be less than general) however there is no guarantee that you won't need to be put all the way out.  For ACL recon i don't know if they could do just a local.  I am not sure though.  Hope i was able to help a little bit,
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Question about Anesthesia
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 11:43:17 PM »
I have had several scopes with IV sedation, which means you are not intubated like with a general, and of course they do infiltrate with a local, also. You might try the epidural, spinal, or femoral block with IV sedation. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending