Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL QUESTIONS for 14yo GIRL.  (Read 1854 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
ACL QUESTIONS for 14yo GIRL.
« on: January 30, 2005, 01:53:07 PM »

Hi Everyone, Im new to this board and I decided to join because I have alot of questions about my knee and I am very worried about it, and most people cannot answer them.
I am a 14 year old girl, and I planted my foot and twisted playing football in gym class near the end of October. I had immidiate excrusiating pain and it swelled very much. We went to the hospital where they told me I had torn my Miniscus and MCL and put me in this straight leg brace for 8 weeks and crutches. After that, I started going to physio and since then my knee has given out about 5 or 6 times, each time it gives it hurt way more than the last time and has locked twice. We went back to the Doctor and he said that he thinks there is a very strong possibility that I had Torn my ACL but wants to get an MRI just to make sure. Unfortunetly the wait for an MRI is about 6 months...and I just cannot keep living like this. IT is horrible pain when my knee gives out and it feels like the top half of my leg is sliding off the bottom half. Any suggestions? Oh yea..and how you you un-lock your knee? Because mine is locked right now and I cant get it unlocked!
Thank you,
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Run Forest, Run !!!

• Forum Faithful
  • Gotta' Love My Knee !!!!
Re: ACL QUESTIONS for 14yo GIRL.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 03:19:25 PM »
Hey,

Sorry about this happening to you...
Get an MRI ASAP !!!!
i know it is difficult with some insurances, and that is a horror in itself...
i had 2 ACL Repairs....Both showed up on the MRI's.
I also had CAT's...They can show some as well....
Did the Doctor test your knee for stability ???
Lying on the table, was you knee pulled gently in different directions to establish any endpoints...???
They can sometimes tell by that alone...
Regarding the locked knee... GET TO THE HOSPITAL !!!!
Thats not good at all...I don't mean to alarm you, but, get there...the ER can help.
You definately have something wrong, and leaving it can lead to other problems...
A proper diagnosis with proper treatment will set you right...
You have come to the right place for advice....The people here are wonderful and will help you all they can...
Let them know the area you live and maybe someone will be able to guide you to a great Doctor...

Ask all the questions you need to and more....

Let me know how it goes and if you need more advice....

Craig
2000 Left ACL w/ Hamstring Autograft-Skiing
(failure)
2002 Left ACL REVISION w/ Allograft Ligament.
2003 Left ACL Screws Removed
2005 Left HTO w/ Allograft Opening Wedge, Hip Autograft, Internal Fixation ... Yeah !!!

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 03:40:35 PM »
Thank you craig, yes the doctor did test my knee for stability and said there was some give and couldnt feel an endpoint...but that doesnt mean there isn't one. He also put this thing on both knees to measure laxity and then compare them, but he didnt say if ther was any diffrence. I really want to get that MRI. I cant live with my knee giving out anymore and I need to get back to soccer (I play provincials). What would be the advantages ofr getting an MRI before the scope anyways? Im scared to go to the hospital  because I dont want to get surgury!
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 03:50:47 PM »
Hey,

Consider the MRI to be a roadmap.  It will give a better idea of what has to be done !!!!
It is not conclusive, and that depends on the quality of the MRI AND the person reading it...
You won't get surgery when you go to the hospital...They will test you and perhaps a Orthopedic Resident or Surgeon will be on call...They will read the results and come to somewhat of a conclusion...
You should go to the Cruciate ligament section here http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=17.0...There is alot of help there...
You will definately find out what you have to do soon...
You really must rest and don't push that knee, it needs to heal...

Craig
(failure)
2005 Left HTO w/ Allograft Opening Wedge, Hip Autograft, Internal Fixation ... Yeah !!!

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 04:00:41 PM »
My OS said that the hospital I am getting the MRI at had great quality pictures... So that should be good. What happnes if the MRI comes back normal? Does that mean that I just like sprained my knee, and dont need to get surgruy?
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 04:11:10 PM »
Honestly ???

This doesn't sound too normal...
The only way that you can tell is with a proper diagnosis by a Doctor.
Please, don't try and diagnose this yourself...
You seem a bit scared, and that is normal....Just go and get all the tests done to rule out any other conditions and give you a much better idea about you have to do...
Surgery is always a last resort...But, you can only find that out by proper testing and diagnosis !!!!
I lived with a Grade III Torn ACL for 2 years before I went...Skiing and other sports and activities are over for me, but you will get better and better !!!!...

Craig
(failure)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 04:15:02 PM »
Ok, thanks Craig. To be honest with you, I am extremly scared. I've heard ACL's are not fun things to tear/get reconstructed. I just keep thinking about all the what-ifs you know? Its really frusterating that they didnt order an MRI 5 months ago when it happened.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 04:21:57 PM »
5 months is a long time....
I can have mine done at anytime, today if I wished !!!!
ACL repair is not all that bad...I will send you one of my original posts regarding my surgery...
It may help, ok ???
Try and relax somewhat and think positively if you can...Ok ???
Ask all the questions you want here, explore the site, you will find comfort and information...
I did...!!!
And, MRI's don't read well when the area is swollen, Ok ???
Get one ASAP and that will be a starting point...

Craig
(failure)

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 04:25:57 PM »
Here is a post of mine...RE: ACL and the like...
I am really sorry to hear about your injury.  As a EX skiier, who has had 2 ACL operations and is currently in recovery from a High tibial Osteotomy, I will give you some advice.
Wait until you have nice movement and muscular development in the leg before you have an operation.  The better the condition, the better the result and recovery.  I had the ACL with the hamstring Autograft.  Stay away from that operation !!!  High failure rate, not to mention EXCRUTIATING pain.  The operation leaves a hole in the back of your leg.  Also, an Achilles graft is very painful with a long recovery.  Get an Allograft, or go for the Patella Tendon on your knee.  The high recovery rate of an allograft is wonderful.  I am 5 years from my first ACL with the Hamstring Auto, and my Hamstring is still not the same, and never will be...My Allograft has held well, but due to slight bowleggedness (sp??), or a Varus deformity, I had to have the Osteotomy.  Get a second opinion if you need to...Don't just jump into this operation, do your research.  Wait until you are comfortable with all the information you get, then get it done.  Make sure that you know about any future operations you may need.  Have your doctor do a standing radiogaph of your leg from the hip down to see any slight deformities.  This will rule out any future operations and give you peace of mind.  I can never ski again, but you will be able to skate...If you take to right steps.  Don't just take your OS's diagnosis as the final word, OK   As for the boredom, that will happen...The urge to run, jump, play will always be there...Just rest for now and get stronger...The brace is a necessary evil.
Make sure when you do have the operation, you have a Cryo-Cuff, by EB Ice.  It constantly circulates ice cold water around your knee...If they won't get you one, I will send you mine...I have 2.  I am three weeks post Osteotomy with no pain...Because I have been here before...Try to NOT take Anti-Inflamitory's.  They are a dangerous drug, and mostly don't work at all.  Hydrocodone and Tylenol will be your best friends...
Think about your knee, think long and hard...be informed...Think about what you will do when the operation is a wonderful success, and the Skating continues !!!

Ok, I have rambled enough here...let me know if I helped at all !!!!

All my best,

Craig
(failure)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 04:34:33 PM »
Thanks Craig :)
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »
You are welcome...

Be well...

Craig
(failure)

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 05:23:48 PM »
Hi there

Run Forest Run...!

Your knee locking sounds like the classic symptoms of a meniscus tear (a bucket handle tear is what I had and my leg was locked solid for 4 weeks before I could get surgery!) ...adn from how you describe your knee instability it sounds like the doctor was right that you may have torn your ACL.....

BUT...like Craig said you really must not be scared and PUSH for professional treatment ASAP....every incidence where your knee gives way badly could be doing further damage and your knee locking is something NOT to be trifled with and left alone as the chances are that it will stay locked one day soon and then surgery will be your ONLY option  :o

Also, I am sure you will find surgery and the chance to get your knee better would be a heck of a lot easier than what you have been dealing with it locking, giving way and so on..

All the best
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 05:33:44 PM »
Thank you both!
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

Offline tanna76

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2005, 07:10:39 AM »
Hi Krista,
Well, firstly may I say that i do not envy you for what you are going thru, especially that you are having to wait for so long to get things sorted out. 6 weeks ago I tore my MCL and ACL and medial meniscus. Your symptoms sound similar to mine but I'm sorry to say, worse. I have had problems with stiffness but I have not had the locking thing you talk about. I have no advice for that part of your problem! But it definately sound like you have an ACL problem.  I have been having physio 2x weekly and doing lots of exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knee to support my injured bits. Do they have you doing any exercises? I have found walking in the pool to be great for loosening up stiffness and strengthening the muscles. You are in no danger of your knee giving way while you are in the pool either, and it's impact free. Also if I were you I would definatley try making a few phone calls to try to speed up your MRI. Is it an insurance issue? Or is it just a waiting list thing? People have MRIs for all sorts of reasons... a lot of them are not urgent... yours IS. If the people concerned know that it is urgent, they may view you differently, and you may have some luck squeezing in sooner. Try ringing the hospital imaging department directly and tell them your situation. They seem to always have vacancies reserved for elite sportspeople... maybe if you beg and plead... It worked for me. And lastly, i know how scary the prospect of surgery is... but it is sometimes essential to restore quality of life. You have lot and lots of life to live yet, and you want it to be the best it can be. Surgery might hurt for a while, but that beats having a screwed up knee and not being able to play soccer ever again. I would be prepared for 12 months away from soccer, but you'll be an even better player when you come back because you will understand your body and how it works better than you ever have before.
I wish all the best for you Krista. Keep us posted.
Tanna76.

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2005, 07:32:14 PM »
Thank you Tanna,
Yes I too any going to physio two times a week but i recently stopped because the doctor said it was not helping very much anymore. I still continute the excersises at home though. About the MRI....its not an insurance issue..just more of a waiting list issue. I hope that your knee heals soon too!!
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

support