Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: having surgery-- suggestions?  (Read 707 times)

Offline knight_of_knee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
having surgery-- suggestions?
« on: January 30, 2005, 05:02:23 AM »
I'm supposed be having my knee scoped on this coming Friday.  I decided to get a hotel room for the night after surgery to avoid walking up the very narrow, steep stairway into my house.  (I live in a 2 story duplex on the 2nd story).

I can't find a ride to or from surgery, much less anyone to stay with me afterwards.  I'm hopefully having a meniscul repair so its not like I'm going to need a whole lot of help.. but I think I would feel better knowing someone was around for at least the first 24 hours.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  My partner is working and can't get out of it.  The friends that I've asked have been unable to help me.

I don't want to cancel the surgery but I'm stumpted as to what to do.

Thanks,

Sid

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: having surgery-- suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 05:45:36 AM »
What about getting a home care worker? Just for one day?  I know here , you have to have somone with you for 24 hours following surgery. they wont' operate on you unless you have somone lined up...or atleast my surgeon...or these hospitals. :-\

Hope you can find somone..if I was in your area i'd come help you out...not that i'd be much help..lol..i'm pretty gimpy

Hugs and goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 06:04:02 PM »
MrSquid -

In terms of getting to and from the hospital, you can probably call the hospital itself and get information on getting a ride. I believe most hospitals do have services where they have drivers to take patients to and from the hospital, so you should definitely look into that.

I believe it is required that you have someone with you for at least the first 12 hours post-op. due to the anesthesia and such. There are a lot of home nurse programs around, I even had one for a while (just a nurse that comes to the house on a daily basis to check how things are going...I needed one when I had my infection and was using the Wound VAC on my opened incisions), I think they also have programs where they will stay with you for those 12 hours. You could probably even ask the hospital about home care workers and such, I would imagine they would have some information on programs like those.

Anyways, best of luck with your surgery and let us know how everything works out!

Best wishes,
Patricia
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 07:18:14 PM »
Perhaps you could ask someone who live in the same building as you, im sure they wouldnt mind and its not out of their way, that wasy you could also spend the night at home.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 09:06:29 PM »
Honestly, I would think about rescheduling.  Definitely call the hospital or surgery center where you are having the procedure done; in the US, the vast majority of these centers will NOT release you alone following anesthesia.  That's because they are liable if anything happens to you.  Each time I've had surgery I had to bring with me the ADULT who was going to be taking care of me; that adult had to show ID and sign in and sign a form saying he/she would not leave me alone. 

When people have faced a situation such as yours, they have either canceled the surgery or been kept in the hospital overnight for observation.  Many insurance companies would refuse to pay for overnight unless there was a medical reason...like pain being out of control.

I urge you to do further research.  I can't imagine why your partner can't get out of work for ONE DAY following major surgery for a loved one!!  But then, I used to work in the business world for a total slave driver, so I know how it can be.  I'd urge you and your partner to discuss reprioritizing things, possibly moving the surgery date to a time when it will be possible to take time off. 

It really may not be a matter of physically needing help (especially if you have a menisectomy).  It's more the anesthesia and pain meds that might cause problems, making it necessary for you to have a responsible adult with you to monitor the situation.

Don't plan on going to the surgery center alone and winging it.  Find out in advance if this place has the liability issues and requirements for the patient to be released to the custody of an adult following surgery.  And remember--the rule is there for a reason.  Some people are extremely sleepy after anesthesia, and run the risk of being distinctly unstable on crutches.  There is no point of putting yourself in danger of falling or hurting your knee or another body part when it can be easily avoided by getting someone to spot you for a day or so following surgery.

Heather

PS is there any way to schedule the procedure to be the last surgery done on a Friday afternoon or something?  Then no one would have to miss work (presuming you all have a M-F schedule, which is of course a big assumption).
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support