Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: walking after a patellar fracture?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline shengpt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
walking after a patellar fracture?
« on: January 29, 2005, 11:15:04 PM »
gud morning. im just wondering if someone could help me give ideas. coming from professiona will do better. the problem is, my friend undergone patellar surgery 3 months ago. his patella was crushed almost 70% (i think) when it was shot by a bullet. so he had an operation last nov. 2004. the doctor said that he will have to wait for 1 year for his patella to re-unite. he is 24 years old, male, his work involves lot of walking, running from even and uneven terrain. a wire was attached on the side of patella and something like figure of eight wire was attached for the patella to unite.i have seen his xray film and i saw improvement in it. im wondering, is it really possible for the patella to totally heal/re-unite just as before? how long can we expect his knee to be able to attain a 90degrees flexion. he's just so depressed with his situation. he is undergoing a physical therapy rehab with me for 2 months now.as of now, he can only do 30degrees knee flexion actively. his wt. bearng status is 25% weight bearng.  muscle strength is okay. is it realistic to say that he can still do the same activities he had before?and when can he be able to walk independently? help please....

support