Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Did I tear my ACL again?  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Nickmtmt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Did I tear my ACL again?
« on: January 29, 2005, 08:21:40 PM »
Hi,

This is my first post to this site, but I often read the content 3 years ago when I was recovering from ACL surgery. I originally tore my ACL playing basketball. I landed funny under a congested basket and my knee twisted and collapsed under my weight. The pain was pronounced and I remember my knee swelling moderately immediately after the injury. I don't recall hearing a popping noise. Along with my ACL, I had tore about 20 percent of my meniscus.

I'm now 30 years old and my knee has been feeling pretty good. I'd been playing basketball as intensely as ever (3 or 4 times per week) without much problem until a few days ago. I landed funny on my recovered knee again under a congested basket. This time, however, the sensation was different. I felt that my knee hyperflexed more so than it twisted. The pain wasn't nearly as bad (I kept playing) and my knee never really swelled. However, my knee feels slightly less stable now, and hurts a little when I hyperextend or hyperflex it. Perhaps telling, my recovered knee used to make a popping sound that went away as a result of my recent crash.

I feel like one of 3 things happened. The worst case scenario is that I tore my ACL again. But why wasn't the injury as painful and why isn't there swelling? The middle-case scenario is that I tore some meniscus. The best case scenario is that I just tore some scar tissue residual from my reconstructive surgery, but this is probably wishful thinking.

Does anyone have any insights?

Thanks - Nick

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Did I tear my ACL again?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 10:23:39 PM »
It's tough to say--you are really going to have to see an orthopedic surgeon to get to the bottom of things if the knee doesn't calm down.

I can say that hyper-extendeding your knee forcefully is an excellent way to tear the meniscus--I've done it twice now.

It sounds like you're pretty experienced with knee issues, so you know the drill--RICE it for a few weeks, and if things don't improve go see the OS who did your last surgery (or one of the doctors listed on this board).

Good luck.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support