Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: major night-time pain inner side of knee-  (Read 43859 times)

Offline steveclick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
major night-time pain inner side of knee-
« on: January 29, 2005, 03:56:36 PM »
Hello I'm new to the site.  I am 55 years old and have had intermittent knee pain for years, but nothing terrible. For the past 5 months i have been getting pain in left knee on inside that wakes me up every night.  Can only sleep on my back now, with pillow under knees to flex them slightly.  This works okay, but when i turn over on side, pain comes and wakes me.  Went to see general MD who thinks it may be miniscus or cartilege tear.  x ray showed nothing.

I have appointment scheduled w/knee surgeon in March, but wondering- alternatives to surgery?  Accupuncture?  I'm taking Glucosomine/Chondroitin but no difference noted.  Exercise? Bicycle riding?  Why pain only at night?  I do yoga, but it is restricted now.  I may have worsened condition with yoga but am careful now.  Any thoughts appreciated.  the lack of sleep is hard.  Thanks!

Offline 2soreknees

• Forum Faithful
Re: major night-time pain inner side of knee-
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 10:58:22 PM »
SOunds very familiar.  I have had many meniscal tears and when they get really bad they wake me up at night.  Right now I am recovering from microfractures to the medial side and the latest meniscal fix.  I have to sleep on my side with the effected knee up and a big pillow between my knees.  It takes a while to get it just in the right position so it doesn't hurt.  I also put a pillow at my back so I don't roll over and move it.  My husband calls me the pillow lady... ;D

X-rays will not show a meniscal tear only an MRI and sometimes the only way to see it is through arthro. surgery.  Is there an alternative?  Not that I know of.  The medial meniscus (inside of your knee) has little or no blood supply so it will not heal itself....

Sorry I don't have better news.  I can't even imagine doing yoga with my knees - I am unable to squat or kneel.  Used to do it when I was younger, in fact the OS says my hypermobility probably had something to do with my knee problems.  That and the fact that the are very misaligned...

Exercise will only make it worse, at least in my experience.  Try R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation).  I have never tried accupuncture...I like to know if it helps...Any KneeGeeks out there that have tried it?

DOn't worry if you have to have surgery.  Repairing a meniscal tear is not complicated and the rehab should go quickly, especially if your leg muscles are strong.

Keep us informed.

Tery
2/02 (R)arthro. meniscus tear, microfractures, grade 4 chondro. under patella.
TTT/LR on (L) 3/03. 
11/04 Arthro (R) MF
4/06 (L) clean up and trim back scar tissue from LR
11/06 (R) HTO
8/08 (R) Hardware removalMFR
8/09 L microfactures
12/09 LTKR
11/11 R TKR and last knee surgery!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 11:06:03 PM »
I'm pretty much in the same condition as Tery--used to do Yoga, and I was very good at it.  People called me Gumby, as I was very flexible--which just seemed to flow right into doing/enjoying Yoga.  But that is exactly how I tore my lateral meniscus.  I was doing downward dog, believe it or not, and when I straightened my leg and tucked my head down, I felt this resistance sensationg, then a pop, then burning pain.  That was it for my lateral meniscus--I had to have about 15% removed surgically, because the tear was not in an area that would heal.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline steveclick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 05:21:30 AM »
Thanks for your responses Tery and Heather.  My concern about surgery is that once people start having knee surgery, it seems like it becomes a regular occurance, like seeing a chiropractor, but more expensive.  One problem is that I have only catastrophic health coverage, which has a $ 1,500 annual deductible, then it picks up 80%.  A receptionist told me an MRI alone costs $ 1,000.

So I get tempted to hope its not a cartilege or miniscus tear, but something else that will get better.  I've given it 4 or 5 months now, and no change.  The strange part is, it's very tolerable in the day, it's only at night that it gets bad. And mostly when i lie on my side, either side.  I'd love to just ignore it a little longer, and hope it goes away.  I have had knee problems that got worse, and then better, just not this particular problem, and i've never had pain at night before.

Does anyone ever have surgery just once, and that does the trick?  Thanks!  Steve

Offline rui2011

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 02:43:31 PM »
Hey Steve,
I know this topic is pretty outdated but you described the same problem I've been having with my knee to the T! "Inner pain on the knee, only at night specially when I sleep on my side, but otherwise very tolerable throughout the day".

Have you ever found out what was the issue with you?! Thanks in advance!