Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthoscopy healing time?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline OverKneePain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthoscopy healing time?
« on: January 29, 2005, 01:39:18 PM »
I am new to this board.  While searching the net for info on the procedures my OS says I need, I came across it.  Have a few questions maybe that can be answered here.  A bit of history:  I have dislocated my knees several times throughout my life.  Knew I would eventually have arthritis, only a little so far.  In September, I began going to the gym every day to work out, using various circuit training equipment.  In October, my rt knee dislocated again while walking down stairs.  It got better for a little while, but then I began having knee pain in both knees, mostly the rt.  Meantime, I had quit going to the gym so as not to aggravate it.  Some days I could barely walk from the pain, and getting up and down stairs is painful, one at a time.  Finally went to the OS in December, looking at MRI, he is recommending artho surgery to perform a medial meniscectomy, a chonotroplasty and a lateral release.  He told me some of the specific exercises I was doing were not good for the knee.  So, I suppose that with the condition of my knees after several dislocations, the wrong exercising brought on all this pain.  I have not been able to find much info on the web about these procedures other than medical studies of results.  Perhaps someone knows of a website where I can get info in plain english that explains exactly what these procedures are?  Also, I'd like to know about healing time from this.  It's very difficult to be away from desk for very long,s o I am trying to figure when I could have this done - it will be probably late February before I can do it.  I wanted to get it done in time to be healed for a trip we have planned to Las Vegas (lots of walking).  Our trip is in Mid April.  I am unsure if I have it done in February that I will be healed enough for all that walking and am considering waiting until after the trip.  Throughout December and the holidays, there was a lot of pain, hard time walking, etc.  However, currently the knees are doing much better, not hurting as much and I am walking almost normally.  However, stairs are still one at a time.  The rt knee just feels very weak and like jelly.  I'm thinking that the improvement may be due to the fact that I got the flue right at the first of the year and spent every moment I could resting, whereas over the holidays I got no rest.  Sorry for the long post, just wanted to try to get the synopsis out there.  I am just trying to decide whether to wait on the surgery or not.  Not knowing the healing time, I am unsure.  It does begin to hurt more the longer I am on it, so I'm sure I'd be living with a lot of pain while in Vegas; but don't know if it'd be worse trying to get around on a knee that's not healed yet.  Any info would be most appreciated.  Perhaps hearing from someone who has had similar procedures - I know it's different for everyone, but what was your healing time?  Thanks!

Offline sandipdev

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Arthoscopy healing time?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 03:30:14 PM »
  I am 18 yrs old and I dislocated my knee 13 days ago. Although I can walk now there is still some pain. How long do you think will it take me to regain full functionality and original power of the knee? Also am I prone to future dislocations?   I hope you can help me.

Regards,
Sandip Dev

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 07:01:21 PM »
Hi, and welcome to Kneegeeks,
First of all the best place to look for info on these topics would be the PAtello Femoral Board, the post op diary that sort of thing.
I have had a LR on both of my knees...
Don't let the fact that this surgery is performed using Arthroscopy throw you off.  My right knee which was done almost 3 years ago , it was a month before I was allowed off crutches due to complications. The left knee which was done 5.5 months ago I was off crutches at 2 weeks post op.  It was about a month before I could walk up and down stairs, and even then it was hard work.  you are also haveing more done then just a Lateral Release. 
Try searching those other area's of the board that I mentioned, I know there is lot's of info on Lateral Release surgery on the Patello Femoral board.
Hope that helped

my one word of caution would be to make sure the Surgeon is doing the LR for the right reasons. IT will correct LAteral Tilt of the patella, and this is when it is indicated for use, however it will not correct lateral tracking of the patella.  Just a word of caution.  The LR surgery can work really well in the right circumstances, but... cause alot of problems in the wrong circumstances.

Linds

if you want to look on the net for info,
try google searching
Lateral Release, Lateral Retinacular Release 
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline sandipdev

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 05:55:47 AM »
Since I have dislocated(lateral)  my knee once, what is the probability that it will dislocate again? Will I have to stop activities like sports, dancing, biking, mountaineering etc.

Regards,
Sandip

Offline brandy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 08:38:57 AM »
   I too am facing my first knee surgery. It is very confusing but this site is a HUGE help. I dislocated my knees 9 times starting when I was 22.
   Sandip, everyone is different. My sister dislocated her knee and has never had any problems with it since. I would recommend asking to see a OS because mine said if I had been sent to him the first time I wouldn't have had to deal with this for 6 yrs. If it feels loose or weak don't just accept the GP's answer. I saw one OS who did an MRI and said he saw no damage past or present after several dislocations. If I had asked him the questions I asked my new OS I could have saved a couple years of problems. It's not the doctors knee so don't just accept any answers. Research and ask about anything you think might be relevant.
   I hope everything goes well for both of you. Keep posted on your recovery.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 08:43:34 AM by brandy »
Numerous dislocations, both knees
 tilted patellas
 LR and MR done on LK 2/22/05

Offline OverKneePain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 12:26:50 PM »
Sandip,

It's hard to say........I first dislocated mine at about 12 years old.  I am 46 now and have dislocated the right knee maybe 1/2 dozen times, the left fewer times.  It seems the first dislocation for each was the worst - lots of swelling, had to be drained, etc.  Subsequent dislocations just bothered me a couple days and then I was pretty much ok.  It's hard to say whether you'll ever have another one.  It shouldn't restrict your activiites.  I've always been a little mindful of the knees and take a little more care when doing activities, but hasn't stopped me from hiking, dancing, etc.  I think after my dislocation about 6 yrs ago, it didn't totally heal properly and has always had a small amount of fluid on it since then.  Then, after I started doing what I found out later was improper exercises with it and had the bit of a dislocation in Oct, that's when it has started bothering me. 

Linds,

Thanks SO much for your info.  Very very helpful.  I will definately check that website.  OS just didn't even explain to me very well what his intentions were.  I got the name of the 3 procedures from his nurse afterward so I can research.  Especially thanks for the caution on the LR.  As he explained to me, and I don't know the medical terms for it, but my patella sits over towards the outside of my knee, rather than in the little indentation in the middle where it should be.  I could see that on the MRI.  I get the idea that perhaps this is one reason why my knees dislocate fairly easily.  He said that they would do the LR and hopefully the patella will get more back in the middle where it should be.  I want to seek a second opinion as well.  Just have to figure out where to go - there is an OS that was highly recommended to me, however he is in the same practice as the one I went to, so I figure a second opinion from him would be fruitless because he'll just confer with the first doc.  Anyway, I think I have decided to wait until after our trip for surgery.  I am just concerned that 5-6 weeks max won't be enough healing time and my knee may be in worse shape than it is now.  Plus, I'd like more time to find out more details on exactly what they want to do.  Thanks again for your info!  Big help.

Brandy,

Thanks for the reply.  I find this site helpful too.  Know what you mean about the GP - when I first went to him, he indicated I don't want knee surgery if I don't have to.  He gave me Mobic and said to check back.  Well, at the 2nd visit, he sent me to the OS.  My first visit to OS, he indicated what my knee problems were - didn't seem real eager to do any surgery - he wanted to try a cortizone shot and see how that did.  Didn't help and on my 2nd visit, he's talking surgery.  Kind of surprised me.  Kind of a tough decision because it's your knees your talking about - the key to your mobility.  But, I've talked to several people who've had it and they say they wish they'd had it sooner.  I guess it's an individual thing though as far as how well it works for each person.

Offline brandy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 03:55:52 PM »
   SO you've had to deal with the dislocations also. Your right they get a little "easier" the more you have :). Unfortunately they are so painful to put back in.  Usually am up and around in a day or two and back to regular in a couple weeks. The last one was a really bad one though. I did it a couple months ago and it still feels weak. Also there is a funny little lump above and to the inside of the knee. No one has yet explained what this is. Will see the OS on Feb. 17th, and will ask him then. He hasn't done a whole lot of explaining anything yet. Thanks to this site I will have some specific and somewhat knoweledgable questions to ask.
   I know about the arthritis too. It is frustrating , because if I had gotten the right care I probably wouldn't be having it at 28. When you keep up with your usual activities aren't you worried about your knee going out? I gave the "good ol' college try" to another season of softball but everytime someone came into base I backed off. Totally embarrassing, am usually very aggressive. (that's how the original disl. happened)
   Just don't put it off too long and do plenty of research in the meantime. Have a great trip and good luck with the knee. Let us know how it goes.
Numerous dislocations, both knees
 tilted patellas
 LR and MR done on LK 2/22/05