Advertisement - Hide this advert

Poll

Has taping the knee been of any help to you?

very much so
3 (21.4%)
a little
4 (28.6%)
no help at all
7 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Patellar Taping  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Patellar Taping
« on: January 29, 2005, 07:42:47 AM »
Hey Everyone~

thought i would give this feature a try.  i went back to my OS yesterday and wasnt too happy with the appt but i have a second opinion on tuesday of next week so hope that goes better.  anyways, i have been advised for the 4th time to try taping my knees to help with my PFS and horrid malalignment.  i told my os that it hadnt worked the other times before but he still said that 'oh maybe this time will be different.' ::) ::)   

just thought i'd ask if anyone acutally has had taping work for them.

~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Patellar Taping
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 08:37:07 AM »
Taping helps reduce my pain dramatically, but ONLY if the technique is done correctly, and if a good quality of tape is used.  Leukotape, which most PT clinics use because it is cheap, is torture.  It doesn't allow for flexion at all, and it rips off about five layers of skin...assuming you can ever get it off.  Also, the PT has to evaluate the knee situation correctly, determine the right technique, and then actually apply the right product in the best way.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 06:45:30 PM »
I agree with Heather that taping has to be done the right way for it to really have a good effect. For me I haven't found a PT yet that can tape my knee well ... although I can't handle any pressure on my patellae, from the Chondro I guess.My OS likens the back of my kneecaps to washboards... I can't even lay on my belly.  :P So that might have something to do with it. This New PT I had tried taping me and he left the tape on for about ten minutes cause he could just see how much pain I was in so then he ripped it all off. :PHe tried though... you might see if you could have a different PT tape you...  The way my new PT taped me was the best out of all the tape jobs i've had...but was still far to painful.
Goodluck with the second opinion Tuesday...and hope you get some help soon.
HUGS and goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline fed_up_in_freddy

• Regular Poster
  • Run if you're being chased, Swim if you're on fire
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 11:38:34 PM »
I would have to say no, not as of yet... :-\ I definitely am in agreement that leukotape is NOT the tape to use...I use kinesio tex tape, and it works better for flexion, but it hasn't helped reduce the pain factor, though it does give me a little better support, if that gives you any help, I don't know... ???  My PT wants to send me back to the surgeon though...she can't get the inflammation down no matter how hard she tries...oh well.  Best of luck to you, and I hope whatever you try works this time.  Heather
1995 scope /LR/debriding right knee
1997 scope /LR/debriding/left knee
2004 diagnosedChondromalacia Patellae both knees
In PT/taping/bracing/severe pain/no luck as of yet/on anti inflammatories

Offline Cid

• Regular Poster
  • Dancing with your heart makes the body sing.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 06:40:23 AM »
My Ortho tried taping and a brace all I got from it was sore knees and a super exfoliation when it was ripped off.  I don't like taping because it is a short term fix for a lifelong problems.  Hope you find what you need at the next appt.  Good Luck
Cid :o
Cid
11 surgeries to date 5 on RT, 2 LR, TTT, VMO advancement & chrondroplasty with drilling and a few meinscal repairs
6 on LFT, LR, 2 VMO adv. & OCP with meinscal repairs

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 01:07:19 AM »
I take a completely different approach to PFS taping which is consistent with the better research out there.  I have my athletes only taped when they are in the training room exercising.  By combining the repositioned knee cap (if you believe that actually occurs) and intensive quad training, the effects are really intensified.  This also takes into account that the adhesive base of almost any tape breaks down within 40 minutes.  I also include biofeedback, to really get a good quad contraction.

There are no conclusive studies showing that long term taping is truly effective.  It has been theorized that the tape provides a consistant low load stretch to the tightened area, thus it would only be effective for tissue contractures or similar conditions.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline libertynm

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 08:21:45 PM »
Atsoccergirl,

How does the biofeedback you use work?  Is that a variation on electric stimulation?  Also, in terms of intensive quad training, do you mean short arc quads?  Do you have your atheletes with PFS do squats and can deep squats be done safely if the taping is done correctly?

Many thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 03:21:19 AM by libertynm »
ACL allograft - 12/07/04

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 11:21:37 PM »
I found that taping didnt help me very much. I found it made my knee more sore, but maybe thats just because the kneecap was in the right place for a change lol!
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 12:47:30 AM »
Biofeedback merely measures the amount of electrical activity in the quad.  It encourages the athlete to learn how to properly contract far better and faster than with russian stim. 

I hate with a passion the traditional short arc quad exercie, it places way too much shear on the knee.  Instead I prefer closed chain exercises such as squats.  We will do restricted ROM knee extensions on the cybex.  I like using various kinds of steps ups, this really helps with the quads.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.